Building a better society

What would the best way of building a more perfect society (Utopia)?

How would you approach this problem? What would be the focus of your reforms?

Zero Phoenix

The Second Coming of Hazama
What would the best way of building a more perfect society (Utopia)?

How would you approach this problem? What would be the focus of your reforms?

Well let me tell you something brother. The first thing we need to do is put all these colored people on a boat and ship them back to Africa. No penalty for late returns you hear me brother? Then we need to deal with these Mexicans. We'll have the good ole Texas citizen army patrolling the border with dogs and shotguns 24/7. Then we need to get these women folk out of the classrooms and back in the kitchen where they belong. I kid I kid. But if Rick Perry gets in there that's what we're going to see.

Anyway, the first thing I would do is improve education. America hit the skids not entirely because the economy is a mess, but because people of all walks of life: 1) Made dumb decisions that got us in this mess to begin with and 2) Have not the expertise to lift us out of this depression. The world needs ideas, the intellectuals need means and resources to do what they do best: solve problems. I emphasize the importance of educational growth, which is to be acquired not so much as to make more money, but to improve the lifestyle of others.

America's entire identity is incentive based. To create a better country, a better world, a better future, we need to erase the materialistic, incentive based mindset and adopt an altruistic, utilitarian way of dealing with our challenges.

Please note however that I am only responded to this thread out of courtesy. I do not believe that Utopia is possible. Even in a hypothetical sense there cannot be a Utopia because so long as there are people who possess freewill there will always be problems.

Chimer

★('°Ch†mR°') ★
you'll find nothing in death... i can tell you i should have died like four time till right now... and there was nothing at all...

You are tryign to make this subjective which I guess is fine but I can with certain tell you that no matter what is your outlook on life it will never be perfection. You will never live in a state of perfection.

-lexus-

Visions of Hell
I believe an Utopia is something to strive for. Nobody wants your 'utopia'. Seems it has more characteristics of a dystopia then an utopia.

And yes, I fucking love my life. This world is perfect.

Chimer

★('°Ch†mR°') ★
You are tryign to make this subjective which I guess is fine but I can with certain tell you that no matter what is your outlook on life it will never be perfection. You will never live in a state of perfection.
Why do i need to look for perfection ?? it's not an absolute necesity... all i ask is to have enough time to live lot of experiences of all kind... i totally don't need perfection at all...

Canabary

Administrator
Utopia is impossible. There are far too many problems. Liberty vs Security, wealth and prosperity vs a finite resource supply, Individual Ambition vs Alturistic Needs and of course Knoweldge vs Ignorance.

Utopia would have to be free of crime, which either requires a total change in human nature from what we've been doing for the past 50 000 years (just over 5000 if you're jewish) or a massive increase in oversight and control. Which in turn creates conflict, and we're back to where we started. I suspsect nothing short of actual mind control would be enough to ensure
safety and security on that scale. A morally reprehensible action that eliminates our individuality, so basically pointless and against the very principle of utopia.

It would also be free of poverty, which would either require us to remove a large chunk of the population, or settle for a lot less than we have now (especially true in the west). We simply do not have the resources to treat everyone equal if we maintain western living standards with the current population size. And how do you ensure the alturistic spirit continues? You can't, unless you use mindcontrol, in which case liberties suffer and our "utopia" is basically just a machine with no free thoughts, no creativity, no change and no "life". Which is anything but a Utopia.

And of course you have the age old problem, what do you do when people are just too stupid to learn or simply refuse to? Racism is a product by ignorance, as is xenophobia, as is anti-nationalism (in most cases), and a lot of other feelings of misstrust and hatred that prevent any sort of "harmony" between the two. Forcing them to agree is also out of the question.

Utopia would also be technologically advanced, and in my opinion, cultivate knowledge, creativity and advancement. Naturally there are other people who might see utopia as a religious institution controlled by certain rules and religious dogma. So getting people to "play on the same team" would be difficult enough. How do you cultivate advancement, knowledge and creativity in a society that attempts "perfection" where everyone is in agreement about how things should be run and exist? You can't. Advancement can only be achieved through challenging old ideas. As a result there will be conflict. Without conflict you are at a standstill. Sounds boring.

You can never make everyone agree on anything. Heck I'm even positive people disagree with me on that.