Dark Souls

VivaLaDementia

Yea, Its been a ride...

"The game will focus on dungeon exploring and the tension and fear that arise when players encounter enemies in this setting. The game is a spiritual successor to Demon's Souls (which is a spiritual successor to the King's Field games). Unlike the mostly linear levels of Demon's Souls, Dark Souls will take place in an open world environment. The player will battle using various weapons and strategies to survive in a dark fantasy world. Online features will allow players to share the play experience without need for direct communication.
There will be more weapons, spells, and new classes. It is also said to be 'significantly harder', with more enemies and more difficult encounters. It will include leaving messages to other players, seeing others' deaths, and player versus player as well as a new co-op system."

Big Note: For PS3 & Xbox360! (Though there will be no cross-platforming, obviously)
Whats your thoughts?
What are you looking forward too?
Concerns?

One of the games I'm looking forward to, and I might pre-order it for the limited edition D:
I hope the trap system is really made difficult, as in traps won't be to obvious, too hard or conditioned.
What I do fear is the combat system being boring after time :/ I haven't really read up much on it since I usually try to avoid spoilers (same reason I didn't get the alpha of the new Deus Ex when leaked)

and of course. PS3 4 Life.

VivaLaDementia

Yea, Its been a ride...
One of the games I'm looking forward to, and I might pre-order it for the limited edition D:
Same, I've had my pre-order on Amazon for a few months now, lol.

I hope the trap system is really made difficult, as in traps won't be to obvious, too hard or conditioned.
What I do fear is the combat system being boring after time :/ I haven't really read up much on it since I usually try to avoid spoilers (same reason I didn't get the alpha of the new Deus Ex when leaked)
Traps in the first game weren't obvious per se, but once you knew they were there, they were easy enough to get around or trigger safely, so Traps acted like a one time thing. It seems like they are going to get more into traps for Dark Souls, making them more often (They weren't very often in the first game) and more creative. However, they have been very tight lip'ed about the details of the game, so there is a lot we don't know about or unclear about, even after journalists have played the demo.

Combat really is far from boring, since you can not button mash or play effectively unless you think about it. Each enemy has a weakness or two, the thing is figuring it out what said weakness is or making yourself good enough to run straight into the enemy and beat them head on. I've played the game 5 times with one character, 2 with another, and 3 with another. I'd say after my 6th play-through, I started to just rush certain levels because they weren't the hot spots for online, but once you get to the hot spots for players around your Soul Level, it gets really good.
The online features make this game re-playable for the longest amount of time and thats what will prevent the combat from being boring, since everyone online uses different things and always keeps you on your toes.

VivaLaDementia

Yea, Its been a ride...
PS3, easily.
I doubt they will make it a shitty port for 360 or anything, but the community is already established on the PS3, which is a huge plus.
Also, it comes out around the new Elder Scrolls, so must 360 RPGers will most likely go there instead of trying something new (Which they will sadly regret).
Not to mention I sold my 360 years ago, lol

VivaLaDementia

Yea, Its been a ride...
I remember there were some reports of problems with Linksys routers and the PS3, the router does something odd and won't register on it, or something. Don't remember much about it really >__>" I've been on a D-link router for a bit now, but I use to have problems with my Linksys router awhile ago.

VivaLaDementia

Yea, Its been a ride...
To be honest, people make it sound harder then it is, at least thats what happened with Demon's Souls.
There are very few parts that are as unbearably hard as they make it sound (this is assuming you don't suck). You just get fucked up a lot, so you have to properly prepare and execute your plan nearly flawlessly. Thats the part that gets the average COD-gamer, they can't deal with the deaths and planning, so they mark the game up to being difficult.

I'd label it as a challenge, unlike most console RPGs, that will make you earn your kills, but it is not impossible at all. Especially since in Demon's Souls they designed ways for players to adjust the level of difficult with World and Character Tendency. I can't confirm that Dark Souls will be like this, but its a safe assumption it will be similar.
Online, well thats another story~

godofwar7

Well all i know is I saw the on floor demo and it was 1 hit = death. Very punishing.

And hey don't insult the difficulty of COD, i died hundreds of times during that short campaign in MW2. Get hit by 3 bullets and you're dead. D<

VivaLaDementia

Yea, Its been a ride...
Well thats the thing, it is punishing. But none of those people knew what they were doing and just ran around waiting for punishment.
This game isn't going to let you be the all powerful main character people are use to.

Your no better then the little dreglings (basic minion bad guys) at the beginning. You build up, then you are considered boss-level by the end of your first playthrough.
Then you start all over again~

Lol, You know what I mean, people who are use to that level of difficult aren't going to know what hit them here. Its completely different, its a very unique game~

VivaLaDementia

Yea, Its been a ride...
Update: New Level + New Information has been out from Gamescon. You can find it by googling, I watched stuff last night but I don't remember where (Most likely the forums of the demonsouls wiki tbh, but not 100% sure)

10 Classes detailed, some confirmed weapons returning (HOLY SHIT DBS LOOKS AMAZING), plus the usual shitty player using an over-buffed character to show us how the game mechanics work (When you find the Duke's walkthrough on Gametrailers, I recommend muting the video and playing your own music. The guy speaking is some translator and has no idea what he is talking about + anything he says is either obvious or super stupid - Explain "Sometimes its better to not fight").

-lexus-

Visions of Hell
Lol, the COD WaW campaing on the highest difficulty was impossible. But that had more to do with the fact that the game sucked ass and required no skill at all.

I dunno, Demon Souls and Dark Souls sound interesting. A challenge sounds nice as long as they dont make the game hard by making it unfair (like what CoD does when at higher difficulties).

VivaLaDementia

Yea, Its been a ride...
I can't speak for Dark Souls, since its not out yet, but Demon's Souls was hard but fair. You learn the maps and you learn from your mistakes. You have to prepare properly by leveling up and keeping your gear in proper shape.
Its not meant to be impossible or make you rage quit. Its meant to challenge you - Even though you prepare yourself so much by going into it with the mindset of "This is going to be hard, got to pay attention".
You can buy Demon's Souls for 10-15 dollars now, or even better just rent it, but if you have a PS3 I recommend you try it without a doubt. Just make sure you have the time for it, because it becomes an addiction.

Dark Souls appears to be the same, ignoring the moronic journalists at E3 who couldn't beat the Demo with buffed characters. E3 had 6 people beat the entire demo and a few days later there was a report that the Developers took offense to the fact that 6 people beat it, swearing to make it harder. Gamescon had the same demo out and the rumors are the developers made it so hard that only 1-2 people finished it (Which, keep in mind are mostly made up of people and journalists who have never played Demon's Souls and there is only a limited time you can actually play the demo).

-lexus-

Visions of Hell
I can't speak for Dark Souls, since its not out yet, but Demon's Souls was hard but fair. You learn the maps and you learn from your mistakes. You have to prepare properly by leveling up and keeping your gear in proper shape.
Its not meant to be impossible or make you rage quit. Its meant to challenge you - Even though you prepare yourself so much by going into it with the mindset of "This is going to be hard, got to pay attention".
You can buy Demon's Souls for 10-15 dollars now, or even better just rent it, but if you have a PS3 I recommend you try it without a doubt. Just make sure you have the time for it, because it becomes an addiction.

Dark Souls appears to be the same, ignoring the moronic journalists at E3 who couldn't beat the Demo with buffed characters. E3 had 6 people beat the entire demo and a few days later there was a report that the Developers took offense to the fact that 6 people beat it, swearing to make it harder. Gamescon had the same demo out and the rumors are the developers made it so hard that only 1-2 people finished it (Which, keep in mind are mostly made up of people and journalists who have never played Demon's Souls and there is only a limited time you can actually play the demo).
Oh that does sound interesting. I will look into it, but I first have to finish LA Noir, Darksiders Wrath of War and Heavy Rain and probably Deus Ex Human Revolution. Oh wait, once Im done with that, Battlefield 3 will be out. And then Elder Scrolls V. And Assassins Creed. Maybe I have time between Assassins Creed and Mass Effect 3 :p

And well, as long as its fair, I can take dying a lot. I just cant stand the CoD hardness, where enemies keep respawning and just drop more grenades right on your head when you play on a higher difficulty. It requires no skill.

VivaLaDementia

Yea, Its been a ride...
Nice, Heavy Rain was a fun one~
Yeah, thats sort of why I recommended you try it before Elder Scrolls comes out, because before I tried Demon's Souls, I was waiting for Elder Scrolls V. Now, since Elder Scrolls V and Dark Souls come out near each other, I've abandoned the Elder Scrolls series. Might happen to you as well =o

Yeah, its nothing like that CoD hardness. Its always fair and requires skill, which is why there is such a big PvP backing to it.