How about cellphones while in school?

Do you agree or disagree with cellphones being banned from school because of people always texting during class instead of paying attition to the teacher.

Krahe

Full of bees
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bryson @ June 11, 2007, 2:53 AM) [snapback]7414[/snapback]</div>
Do you agree or disagree with cellphones being banned from school because of people always texting during class instead of paying attition to the teacher.[/b]
Well, when you phrase the question like that, yes, yes I do agree with the ban. However, I don't have a problem with cell phones used during breaks or other times when such use wouldn't be disruptive or rude. Heck, I don't care if you bring your phone to class, but either turn it off or silence it.

I agree with Krahe... Question = poorly worded like that.

I can see banning Cell Phones in anything below HS... As in an all the time ban, but in HS, a lot of kids are working and/or have families of their own kind of thing so I wouldn't agree with a ban in HS... If the phones go off in class, take them away, if they're caught not paying attention to the lecture or w/e and sending text messages, take the phones away... *shrug* You're always going to have some that abuse the privilege and those that don't...

~In college, it's the student's responsibility *100%* to pass the class... As long as they're not disrupting the class let them send as many texts as they want instead of paying attention to what's going on in class... They're the ones that are paying for the classes... If they/it do/does disrupt class, then the Professor has the choice to kick them the hell out of class, scold them, or both... Maybe a few other things, but that doesn't much matter... So... mehh.

Schools do have to do somethig to ensure students pass. Its not like they are mature enough, as we have come to regret certain decisions we made in the pass. School should help guide. Perhaps students should be made to surrender the Hp during class times

I don't agree banning cellphones from schools, students also don't have to use them at class time, not if they don't need to. I agree with silencing the cellphone at class time but not banning from school.
I agree with crocofly "School should help guide" but not just Ban the cellphones.

I think he worded it correctly. That is, cellphones were banned due to the reason that the students kept using it during class times.

No, I do not agree on banning cellphones in school. They should just make a smaller rule than that. Example, they should just confiscate the cellphones of those who used it in class, after a first warning of course. Something like that. :dry:

At my school, the rule is that if a mobile is on while on the school premises you get a detention (they can't confiscate them because too many parents complained- the parent had to come in and get the phone) but I've had a detention by using my phone a whole hour before school had even started! thats ridiculus. I've also had a detention because my phone turned on in my pocket. People will still use their phones anyway, they just put them on vibrate so the teacher won't notice. They can never ban something really because people will just secretely go against the rules- a majority of people in my school keep their phones on and text during class and the teachers don't even notice

cell phones

Yes that is true, but students also have a responsibility to respect the teacher and their classmates. Therefor, it is up to the individual to stop and realize that what they are doing can be potentially disrespectful. I am not saying that using your cell phone a hour before school started is disrespectful, but using during class is.

Let them use them if they want. If it doesn't interrupt the class, then it shouldn't matter

I don't go to school anymore, but when I did, they weren't allowed. I used it anyway, because its my education, my phone, and I'm not going to be limited in such ways. If they tried to take it away from me, then we've got a problem

Problem is when kids go down hill, parents might not want to take the blame and thus put it on the teachers talking about how they allowed the students a tool that took away from their education. I would say ban them from the classes but not during breaks, lunch etc...

Not only is it distracting to other students but it does not look good on the teachers part if the students are not paying attention.

My thoughts on the matter at least.

Using cellphones in school or during class should not be banned or prohibited because it is a right for student to use it. Especially during times of emergency where a student needs to make a call or something like that. The thins is, students should just use them moderately so as to not distract other people.

Krahe

Full of bees
Using cellphones in school or during class should not be banned or prohibited because it is a right for student to use it. Especially during times of emergency where a student needs to make a call or something like that. The thins is, students should just use them moderately so as to not distract other people.
Having a phone go off in class is distracting no matter how many time it's used. I don't want to hear the latest top-twenty hit while I'm trying to pay attention and learn. Even if the ringer is silenced, getting up and leaving the room/staying and talking is just as distracting. That said, I don't have a problem with cellphones used between classes, during class breaks, or for emergencies.

As far as the whole "right of the student" thing, I feel that my and others' right to a quite, distraction-free classroom trumps your (generic "you") right to use your phone during class. It's rude and disrespectful to both your classmates and your teacher/professor to do so, IMO.

I kinda feel like an old fogy now. XP

Having the ringtone on is a different story

If I need to use my phone, or someone important calls, then fuck the teacher or whatever if they refuse to allow it. I've said it to them before, and had I not picked up that phone call, someone would have died