Impeaching Cheney/Bush/Gonzales.

Krahe

Full of bees
This past week, the White House and Vice President Cheney were subpoenaed by the Senate Judiciary Committee for documents relating to President Bush's warrentless wiretapping program (AP Article). The White House gave no indication it would comply with these subpoenas (CNN article), and the following day (Thursday), Bush refused previously issued subpoenas concerning the firing of the US Attorneys, claiming executive privilege (Yahoo! News article, Washington Post article).

This refusal prompted responces from Senator Patrick Leahy and Congressman John Conyers. Leahy called the actions of the Bush Administration "Nixonian stonewalling" (the entire statement), and Conyers stated that the President showed "an appalling disregard for the right of the people to know what is going on in their government." (the statement). (Conyers also stated that "obstruction of justice and misleading Congress" are amongest "charges alledged in this investigation.")

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi has previously stated that impeachment is "off the table." Her opinion has not changed despite a devestating indictment of Cheney by Bruce Fein (former Deputy Attorney General in the Reagan Administration (read article with a few of his statements here), John Dean's (former Nixon White House counsel) call for action, and Dennis Kucinich's introduction of H. Res. 333, a resolution to impeach Cheney. In fact, during a bloggers conference call with Speaker Pelosi yesterday, when asked "whether or not the Constitution is worth it," (here refering to impeaching Alberto Gonzales) she responded "Well, yeah, the Constitution is worth it if you can succeed." (full article here, with audio of conference)

Is Speaker Palosi right? Is the act of impeachment only "worth it" if it succeeds? Should Cheney, Bush, and/or Gonzales be impeached? Have their actions called for it? What do you think?

It's important to remember that impeachment is not removal from office, but the formal accusation of wrongdoing.

Personally, I feel that impeachment is called for and should be seriously considered by Congress.

Swiss

function Swiss()
First off I'm not American so I'm sorry to say that I don't really care, second, I don't understand politics and I never will and third, damn man why so much big words? Break it down so young people like myself can understand. Seriously, I started to read and then I lost interest after seeing the first big word and I have to much things clogging my brain right now, so simplier words would make it easier for me. Until then I can't really say whether I oppose or whatever. :stress:

Krahe

Full of bees
^ So I made your brain explode?

*cough* So, anyway, Cheney, Bush, the White House, ect. were ordered to hand over information about illegally spying on American citizens (violating our Fourth Amendment). They didn't, claiming executive privilege. This didn't sit well with some, because executive privilege is usually used on the grounds that there is a need to protect military, diplomatic, or national security secrets, and what national security secrets could possibly be threatened by releasing information about an illegal act?

By refusing to hand this information over, they could be considered in Contempt of Congress.

Swiss

function Swiss()
Why didn't you say so in the first place. I think I saw this on the news. What do I think? Well can a president go to prison o :sleep: r has that ever happened in history? If so send him to jail I guess and bring back Clinton, the best president America ever had. Problem solved.

Krahe

Full of bees
A President has never gone to prison, but if put on trial in the Senate and convicted by a two-thirds majority, the defendant will be automatically removed from office. Afterwards, the Senate may vote to prevent the convicted of being elected or appointed to future federal office. If removed from office, the defendant may still face criminal prosecution, and if they leave office before impeachment is decided, they may still be impeached after leaving to disqualify them from future office or from earnings gained from thier prior office (pensions, for example).

If Bush and Cheney were to be removed from office, the Speaker of the United States House of Representatives, Nancy Pelosi, is next in line for the presidency (followed by the President Pro Tempore of the United States Senate, if you're interested) and would hold office until the 2008 election. Unfortunatly, Speaker Pelosi is as effective as a show dog in a cage of pit bulls. :dry:

Swiss

function Swiss()
Isn't she African American? I think I've seen her before and I don't want her to be president.

I'm not sexist, but the reason I don't want her to be president, is because she's a woman. lol sounds sexist, I know.

Krahe

Full of bees
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Swiss @ July 5, 2007, 12:22 PM) [snapback]8283[/snapback]</div>
Isn't she African American? I think I've seen her before and I don't want her to be president.[/b]
This is Speaker Pelosi. You may be thinking of Condoleezza Rice, the Secretary of State.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
I'm not sexist, but the reason I don't want her to be president, is because she's a woman. lol sounds sexist, I know.[/b]
Yeah, that does sound sexist. Y'know, the US may have a woman President following the 2008 election, if Senator Hillary Clinton wins the Democratic nomination and the election, but that's off topic.

Swiss

function Swiss()
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
This is Speaker Pelosi. You may be thinking of Condoleezza Rice, the Secretary of State.[/b]
oh my bad,lol. Anyway I would love to debate about this but as you can see I'm lost when it comes to this stuff and I'm not American so........ yea.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Swiss @ July 5, 2007, 8:22 PM) [snapback]8283[/snapback]</div>
I'm not sexist, but the reason I don't want her to be president, is because she's a woman. lol sounds sexist, I know.[/b]
That doesn't sound sexist, that is sexist.

Krahe

Full of bees
^ And I can't believe you replied just to comment about Doe's reply and to repeat that you're not sexist.

Don't be a-spammin' my thread, please.