It's Begun (dun dun duuunnn)

Today I went to the bookstore to buy some manga, I ended up getting an issue of Fruits Basket and an issue of Death Note. When I went to pay for it the lady at the register asked me for my ID, I was like huh? I never had to show it to them before. It turns out that some bookstores are going to start enforcing the ratings on the mangas. She told me that they had gotten a call recently from the higher ups telling them to check the ratings on the back of the mangas and ID's before selling. I don't know if this is going to be totally enforced or not but you never know.

rating on mangas? care to give an example?
Most manga have a rating on the back of them. Their usually something like 13+, 16+, 18+, ect.

13+ is the most common on most normal series like Naruto, Bleach, Reborn, Hayate no Gotoku, Rozen Maiden.

16+ is usually for manga with more serious tones(Monster, Claymore, Evangelion, Death Note), or stuff with a large amount of fanservice(Ichigo 100%, DearS, Love Hina, Negima).

And lastly, 18+ being for titles such as Elfen Lied and Berserk which have exsessive amounts of gore, nudity, and mature horrific stoylines.

Though, to my knowledge most bookstores don't carry 18+ stuff, and if they do it's usually sealed in a plastic wrapper type thing with a big warning on the front.

Sorry, I don't really have anything worthwhile to add the original topic at hand. I usually order my manga online or read scans on my computer so this change doesn't really affect me. o.o