Notorious

Colonel H Stinkmeaner
A thread to discuss all about Karma, such as if you believe in it or not, you have experienced it before or any anecdotes related to Karma. Please share your ideas/stories, all are welcome! (as long as they are relevant, ofc)

If I am to give my own opinion, I would say that Karma does exist, and that it happens to me all the time

Biomega

Net Ronin Of All Trades
I don't believe in Karma. Whenever I do good things, bad things happens. And if I do bad things, I get away with it and nothing happens afterward. Sometimes I get more for what I have bargained for. Life is really twisted, for me.

No such thing as karma. If you think that karma exists and a chance incident occurs, you're likely to say it was karma, but it's just a coincidence

Xiga

Im not sure what I think about Karma. Theres different type of Karma believes, for example; Karma through reincarnation, Karma based on action of relatives or Karma for yourself.

So much bad has happened to me, but at the same time I live in a good town and I have good friends, and I don't live poor. So whatever it is that keeps good and bad balanced, weither it's karma or not.. It's something. I believe that theres something that changes the course of good action vs Bad actions made.

Lily

Dead is the new alive.
Ohh I believe in Karma alright ;___; It's instant too D:
Whenever I even have ehm bad thoughts something bad will occur to me .__.
And on the other side good things come my way if I'm acting 'good' :3

Chimer

★('°Ch†mR°') ★
Did You the serie Called "My name is Earl", this one talk about Karma... it says that if you are doing good things in your life for the others, then Karma will grants good things to you.

Notorious

Colonel H Stinkmeaner
Damn, I shoulda included a poll in this...
[MENTION=1300]Chimer[/MENTION] I have seen that, brilliant show. Yeah I think that's right on most occasions, but there are times which Bio mentioned that bad things can happen to you even if you do good. However I think this is more rare

Zero Phoenix

The Second Coming of Hazama
Does Karma exist? How should I answer this question? Shall I make the overflown delcaratons I am known for or should I just get right to the point? There is no such thing as Karma. Sorry to all my Hindu posters out there but there is no such thing as Karma. Karma is the reward for the sum total of our actions. All actions carry with them certain repercussions or so we are led to believe. This however is hardly the case. When evil men and women commit atrocities they are not always punished according to their sins, their actions do not always yield the results expected of their tresspasses. Most people who do cruel, vile things to others actually get away with it. When people like Nelson Mandela can be locked up and spend half their lives behind bars for a crime they didn't commit, but the likes of Casey Anthony who commit murder and get away scott free, can anyone truly say that Karma exists?

And in my business I see a lot of dirty sh!t going on behind the scenes. Some of it is part of the business. These people aren't ever going to get what's coming to them. Let's stop playing games and let's starting getting real. Each of us knows someone who never gets what they have coming. Each of us knows or has known of someone who can do anything dirty and underhanded and nothing bad ever happens to them. Karma can only exists if it functions. It does not function and therefore it does not exist.

Notorious

Colonel H Stinkmeaner
I had a really extreme case of Karma occur to me when I was just, let's see... 7-8 years old. My friends and I were playing a game where we had to pug each other off a platform, and I pushed one of my friends off and started laughing at him. Just then, someone pushed me, and I ended up falling badly and stabbed my leg on a rusty nail, ouch!!

So I think there are times when Karma hits you harder than what you actually did

@Zero isn't Karma a Buddhist term, not Hindu?

Zero Phoenix

I had a really extreme case of Karma occur to me when I was just, let's see... 7-8 years old. My friends and I were playing a game where we had to pug each other off a platform, and I pushed one of my friends off and started laughing at him. Just then, someone pushed me, and I ended up falling badly and stabbed my leg on a rusty nail, ouch!!

So I think there are times when Karma hits you harder than what you actually did

@Zero isn't Karma a Buddhist term, not Hindu?

The concept is shared by Hinduism and integral to reincarnation.

http://www.himalayanacademy.com/resources/pamphlets/KarmaReincarnation.html
http://www.hinduwebsite.com/hinduism/h_karma.asp
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karma_in_Hinduism
http://www.religionfacts.com/hinduism/beliefs/karma.htm

I'm somewhat familiar with Eastern Religions.

Notorious

Colonel H Stinkmeaner
*applauds* I expected no less from you

But as for me... It's been like 4 years since I last studies RS (religious studies), kinda fuzzy on it. Need to remember more...

Well, I don't necessarily doubt that Karma exists, but I notice that quite a lot of people use causation to imply karma. Like, "I didn't do my homework, so I got bad karma, and my teacher scolded me". That's not karma. That's logic.

Notorious

Colonel H Stinkmeaner
Well, I don't necessarily doubt that Karma exists, but I notice that quite a lot of people use causation to imply karma. Like, "I didn't do my homework, so I got bad karma, and my teacher scolded me". That's not karma. That's logic.
LOL yeah. Whoever said that is a downright moron

Biomega

Net Ronin Of All Trades
I'm somewhat familiar with Eastern Religions.
They are called Dharmic religions, me thinks.

But Hinduism, Buddhism, Shinto and even Taoism were known to be very syncretic religion. Often integrating tenets and philosophies of neighbouring religion to their own.

But, Noex and ZP, I thought you guys were Christians? You do know Karma exist of some form in Christianity, no? Like, if you do good things, you will be rewarded, no?

Zero Phoenix

But, Noex and ZP, I thought you guys were Christians? You do know Karma exist of some form in Christianity, no? Like, if you do good things, you will be rewarded, no?
Incorrect. Karma in it's strictest sense does not exist in Christianity for the very same reason you closed with. "If you do good things you will be rewarded." That is not true. We, as Christians are supposed to do good because in fact, we are good. We do good things not to be rewarded but because we are, by nature, good. In fact, not only is it written that we are not to look for good things to happen to us because we are doing the right thing, but we should almost expect bad things to happen to us on account of being good.

The world as a whole is wicked. Doing good works subverts evil. The evil that is present in the world will do anything it takes to undermine our actions and afflict us, thereby eliminating any motivation we have for doing good in the future. So you see, one who studies the Word should actually expect bad things to happen to them on earth "because" they are good. However, we as Christians are supposed to stay strong and continue to walk in the Word regardless of what happens to us. We do not do good works to go to heaven, it's already a given that our eternal reward awaits us because we accept Christ.

To simplify this, Christians do not do good works to be saved. We do good works for the glory and honor of our Father in Heaven because we already are saved. We are not doing good to be rewarded because by accepting Christ, we already have accepted our reward which was given to us. Nothing we say, or do can get us into heaven because as people, we are all condemned to death. You cannot get to heaven by works. We get to heaven by faith. Our faith in Christ, that He is the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world is what saves us and ensures our seat in heaven. Not good works, so no, we Christians do not do good to receive something good. We do good because we are good. Karma does not exist in Christianity because the very concept thereof is contradictory to the Word.

[Somewhat similar to what Hadriel said. We don't do good to be saved. We do good because we "are" saved. There is a big difference. You could say we do good out of joy and duty rather than self-gain.]