Religion

Nori

Yes, I brought it up. It's something that get's people uptight and cause other emotions. Speak on it here and post your opinions and etc.

Note: Do not offend anyone in this thread, through HXF. I will personally suspend you from this forum if you do so.

Just to start this off, I will say. I am a Christian.

Krahe

Full of bees
I don't really have a religion, though I'm very interested in Traditional Pureland Buddhism. Usually, I just believe in what I believe and go on my marry way.

Not trying to be rude or anything, but how can you not have a religion?How can you have a life without something to beleive in?Instead of just saying;"I just believe in what I believe and go on my marry way.
"To me people without a religion are "savages" [note: im not insulting or anything]

Btw im "Christian"

Krahe

Full of bees
It's quite simple to not have a religion: I don't affiliate with any religious group or organization. And I never said I "don't believe in anything." I believe in many things, from different religions (reincarnation, karma, the power of stones/crystals, chi, chakras, angels, spirit guides, spirits [incluing, but not limited to, ghosts], etc.).

And never once in my first post did I imply or suggest that I think people who do have a religion are 'savages.' In fact, there are times I envy people who are able to believe completly in one religion, and I admire and respect people of such conviction. I'm just not able to believe fully in only one religion, and thus I take guidence from several.

I am a strong believing Lutheran Christian and I have to agree with RedX here but I guess thats probably because the way I was raised and I believe the words that my history teacher said when someone asked him about his religion "I think there is nothing stronger than the faith people have in what the believe even if there is no proof." (he doesn't preach to the class it just came up) but I see nothing wrong with other religions I just have trouble accepting some people believe in no religion.
I'm sorry if this offends anyone because I was not trying to in any way.

Alzina

nice to see so many views about religion here... :)

well so far most of the ppl who posted here r chirsitians....

as for me i'm a Muslim..although i'm not a strong Muslim but i do the basic prayers and all that are required to do... :)

Nori

I'm noticing that you took my don't offend thing a bit to litteral. It's a debate. When I spoke of being offensive, I mainly meant, saying things such as "fuck your religion, it's shit, and people who believe it should die and their bodies be burned because they are extremely retarded," or things of the like.

Anyway back to this debate.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Krahe @ 12-7-2006 @ 11:38 AM) [snapback]1117[/snapback]</div>
I don't really have a religion, though I'm very interested in Traditional Pureland Buddhism. Usually, I just believe in what I believe and go on my marry way.[/b]
This makes no since. You say you have no religion but you believe in what you believe. If you believe in what you believe, you obviously believe in something. Don't see this as me bashing your "beliefs," but it makes no sense to me.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Alzina @ 12-8-2006 @ 8:04 AM) [snapback]1151[/snapback]</div>
as for me i'm a Muslim..although i'm not a strong Muslim but i do the basic prayers and all that are required to do... :)[/b]
So basically by saying your not a strong Muslim you don't believe everything in the Quaran, or you mean something totally different.

Now that you have set out some what of a guide for what is allowed that helps on this very touchy subject

QUOTE(Krahe @ 12-7-2006 @ 11:38 AM) *

I don't really have a religion, though I'm very interested in Traditional Pureland Buddhism. Usually, I just believe in what I believe and go on my marry way.

Like Nori I'm a bit confused so do you believe in a religion or not because your starting to sound perhaps a bit like Constantine of Rome (He's the guy who legalized Christianity in Rome and Moved the capital to Constantinople and became a Christian on his death bed though he supposedly had "flirts" with it and a few other religions all his life)

Also Nori you said "you believe in what you believe you obviously believe in something" well the belief could be in no God also remember which if you read my first post I have trouble accepting.

Krahe

Full of bees
*sigh* How can I put this? Yes, I do believe in several things, but I don't feel that those beliefs fall under one specific religion. I don't consider myself a Christian, or a Buddhist, or a Pagan, or a believer of any other specific religion. Just because I don't identify or affiliate or consider myself part of a specific religion dosen't mean that I don't or can't have certain beliefs.

Nori

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Krahe @ 12-12-2006 @ 6:40 PM) [snapback]1295[/snapback]</div>
*sigh* How can I put this? Yes, I do believe in several things, but I don't feel that those beliefs fall under one specific religion. I don't consider myself a Christian, or a Buddhist, or a Pagan, or a believer of any other specific religion. Just because I don't identify or affiliate or consider myself part of a specific religion dosen't mean that I don't or can't have certain beliefs.[/b]
I see, why is that though?

*Kinda, seems like we're personally attacking you, but eh it happens in a debate.

Krahe

Full of bees
Well, I was raised Christian (read: I grew up around Christians.), and around the end of eighth grade I started questioning those beliefs (I think it was fall out from a period of depression). Since I was questioning those things, I became interested in different belief systems, mainly Paganism (Wicca and the like) and later Buddhism.

At that time I wondered what made any religion more or less valid than the others, and I concluded that any religion is just as good as any other and I should believe what I'm comfortable with.

As a side note, right now I'm reading about Agnosticism, so maybe that's what I fall under. *shrug* Won't make any difference, but it is interesting.

People will always argue about religion no matter what one says. For example a christian and a catholic might get along but their religion are different for example i heard a christian can't have sex until their married... o well i'm lucky i ain't a christian and i'm not saying there is anything wrong with that.... anyways what i'm saying ppl will always debate over religion and i have no idea if i made sense lol

Nori

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shin @ 12-12-2006 @ 10:51 PM) [snapback]1302[/snapback]</div>
People will always argue about religion no matter what one says. For example a christian and a catholic might get along but their religion are different for example i heard a christian can't have sex until their married... o well i'm lucky i ain't a christian and i'm not saying there is anything wrong with that.... anyways what i'm saying ppl will always debate over religion and i have no idea if i made sense lol[/b]
You're not even debating right now, you are disagreeing with the debate of religion and agreeing with it. That's a worthless thing to say.

I feel that not having a religion just simply means that you are someone who is pretty realistic as something like god does not really exist. I say things like this not because i am discriminating the religion but things normally do not go smoothly. But religion can be a support when you are facing hard times and it helps you to move forward. Btw, although i am a buddhist but i do not really go about praying unless i am accompanying my family to a temple.

Krahe

Full of bees
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shacky @ 12-14-2006 @ 7:11 PM) [snapback]1345[/snapback]</div>
I feel that not having a religion just simply means that you are someone who is pretty realistic as something like god does not really exist.[/b]
Yup, I consider myself a realist, albeit one that isn't very cynical (I'm full of creepy happiness [which is the best kind]). As for God, I think that if (s)he (Hey, you never know...) exists, then that's wonderful, but if not, *shrug* it really dosen't change anything about the Big Picture, although it would be pretty depressing to think that our lives have no meaning besides ensuring the continuation of the species.

... I think I just depressed myself...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shacky @ 12-14-2006 @ 7:11 PM) [snapback]1345[/snapback]</div>
I feel that not having a religion just simply means that you are someone who is pretty realistic as something like god does not really exist. I say things like this not because i am discriminating the religion but things normally do not go smoothly. But religion can be a support when you are facing hard times and it helps you to move forward. Btw, although i am a buddhist but i do not really go about praying unless i am accompanying my family to a temple.[/b]
I'm confused as that is being a realist because for all we know god does exist we just haven't found him/her yet and lets face it a lot of unexplained things have happened even before us which simply wasn't written down because the people who saw it all believed faithfully and fully in there god

Archangel

let me start off that my real name is Christian and that i was raised in the church and that i dont want to offend anyone belifes forgive me if i do ,Till i was about 16 you could have called me a church boy no doubt. But as much as i want to believe that there is a God its hard. If there is a God what is the meaning to life to serve him and if i dont i go to hell. Let me ask you this if God can see the future why would you create a being that would bite you back. He knew what Satan would do but he let it go and sent him to us. Another thing acording to the bible we have no meaning to him if we dont serve him so without him im worthless but if im serving him im fine. I know where not sapposed to question God because who are we to question God but on that same note arnt we saying were nothing. Why would you make a world that has so much pain just to test us if he already knows the anwser. So are bond by his fate?? All that i have seen in life is people looking down on others if you stop and think about its true. That all i have to say sorry if i offended you in any way.

I have been brought up by my parents to be a Hindu and believe in Krishna. But I personally, think that God is not real. I used to believe in him before he started making my life a misery >_>

Cause think in context for a second. You are god. You have created this world, spent a whole lot of time on it. So if you have the power to create the world, then you wouldn't want anything happening to it. So why is there evil and suffering? Cause that ruins the world, so if God was real he would put a stop to this.

All in all, God is not real until proven he is.

This is all my opinion so you know, don't flame me for this :p

Nori

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Suraj182 @ 2-5-2007 @ 6:46 PM) [snapback]2329[/snapback]</div>
But I personally, think that God is not real. I used to believe in him before he started making my life a misery >_>

Cause think in context for a second. You are god. You have created this world, spent a whole lot of time on it. So if you have the power to create the world, then you wouldn't want anything happening to it. So why is there evil and suffering? Cause that ruins the world, so if God was real he would put a stop to this.

All in all, God is not real until proven he is.

This is all my opinion so you know, don't flame me for this :p[/b]
Misery is not caused by God, it is caused by the devil. If you don't believe in God, then why do you expect him to save you from anything. This free will thing that God gave us was something, that allowed us to believe him and not believe in him. Also, people complain that the world is such a bad place and that it is so crappy, and full of us. Yes, it is exactly that, but because of the reward that we will get in heaven, the outcome of this planet and universe is not a concern to us. Gods kingdom is Heaven, not Earth. The Earth is now in the hands of the devil, because of the sin commited by Adam in the garden of eden, which led to eternal damnation for all humans.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nori @ 2-6-2007 @ 12:55 AM) [snapback]2337[/snapback]</div>
Misery is not caused by God, it is caused by the devil. If you don't believe in God, then why do you expect him to save you from anything. This free will thing that God gave us was something, that allowed us to believe him and not believe in him. Also, people complain that the world is such a bad place and that it is so crappy, and full of us. Yes, it is exactly that, but because of the reward that we will get in heaven, the outcome of this planet and universe is not a concern to us. Gods kingdom is Heaven, not Earth. The Earth is now in the hands of the devil, because of the sin commited by Adam in the garden of eden, which led to eternal damnation for all humans.[/b]
I used to believe in God, but then my life got screwed up and I kept faith, but it just got worse :\
But, being a Hindu, We don't believe in heaven or hell, but that we get reincarnated back here...same thing all over again >_> And I'm not quite sure on the Hindu version of the suffering(Like Christians have the Adam and Eve story).