School Shootings

Well I have no idea how many people keep up to date with news or how many people live in the US and know about this but since it happening a lot i figure i should bring it up. For the past week there have been 3 deadly school shootings and one other case where i live of a kid bringing a gun to school also some molestation of girls . The point is what do you think is the best way to keep schools safe.

I think that we need air port security when I say that I mean we need to rely on students to tell people about if which is one reason why the gun was found at the high school near me. Also random searches of lockers which has been a real big help where I live. So what are your thoughts?

Mike

I think the biggest way to avoid shootings and such is teach students and teachers how to reconize if there is a problem with someone...by them taking some sort of class or partisapate in an assembly could save a life or help a troubled kid

The locker searches will help but theres a certain amout of privacy that is being violated there espessally with random searches
I have to go, will discuss more later

problem with that is that most people are opposed because its just that much more to taxes and one extra reqired class to it plus most people probably wouldn't listen anyways or would forget it once they are done.
Also for the lockers no privacy is being invaded as the locker belong to the school you are using them as a privlage not as a right and since they own the lockers they are entitled to search it with out warning. Where I live there are people who dont have lockers for multple times of fuinding drugs or other related items in them

Nori

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mike @ Oct 5 2006, 04:02 PM) [snapback]304[/snapback]</div>
The locker searches will help but theres a certain amout of privacy that is being violated there espessally with random searches
I have to go, will discuss more later[/b]
Hah! Privacy in school, that's just hillareous. The principle has authority over all of that happens in a particular school, there's no privacy in school, sorry. If you really think about it, the school (district) owns the lockers not you, so they can do what ever they want with them.
Metal detectors are always helpful, but crap ones are useless, if you're going to have metal detectors make sure they actually work well.
Some people are dumb in my opinion (sorry if that offends), so many people just need help it's sad. I honestly don't understand how some people can be depressed to the point of attempting to shoot everyone. How is that possibly going to make it better? Alot of these people think about how they're going to kill these people also, and plan out how they'll do it; it's crazy!

The problem with metal detectors though is that it would take forever to get everyone in the building in the morning at larger schools like mine 4000+ students. Also metal detector dont always work I know a person who works for the airport and her job is to see how effective security is she says she has snuck a gun past about 23 times since 9/11.

There really no way of protecting anything.Soon the goverment going to try and use mondex chips.That now going to work either,this world will never be in peace there nonthing we can do to stop this.Only just sit back and enjoy the show cause things going to get worser.

This will all come to a end just wait...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Redx @ Oct 6 2006, 07:57 PM) [snapback]315[/snapback]</div>
There really no way of protecting anything.Soon the goverment going to try and use mondex chips.That now going to work either,this world will never be in peace there nonthing we can do to stop this.Only just sit back and enjoy the show cause things going to get worser.

This will all come to a end just wait...[/b]
I doubt it will get that far also
"the only way to keep the peace is to prepare for war" I forget who said that but in our world that is very true.
also please use proper gramer and reall words.

Edit Also an exaple of that would be the cold war and the arms race with the US and the USSR where are fear of eachother and if one attacked what the other would do is what kept the peace though it did cause quite a few problems at the time there was never a true war.

Nori

LOL. Neither am I, but back to the debate.
School shootings are obviously an ongoing problem, and it's getting bigger, that needs to be dealt with. Privacy shouldn't even be considered in place of a life of a public area. That's like saying at the Airports they shouldn't scan your luggage because it's an invasion of privacy.

K

kyoshiro_mibu30

i have to agree with nori on that,privacy and schools just dont mix well.if you think about it,how many teachers put it on them selfs to go check out personal affairs with kids now a days.if you ask me,the shootings are because the kid is eather metaly abused or he has a bully problem.now dont get me wrong,there are those kids who want attention so they go out of there way to pick a gun up and bring it to school to show it off to friends.then something bad happens and you have a dead kid on the news.the news will make up something or stretch the truth to make one kid seem like a bad guy.thats about 50 percent of the school shootings now a days.the other half is kids that are emo^^.But in any case my opinion was never asked so if you dont like mine just ignore it.

Privacy in School? now that's a laugh. you people going to school bitch about privacy and yet you want everything about others out in the open. I mean talk about hypocrisy. Most of you aren't even 18 so your rights aren't even yours. They are your parents and those who watch over you. As long as you are in school, you are the administartion's responsibility and they have to do what they can to keep you safe. I hated school but I knew why they had the rules. Now the shootings are real sad and I do feel for all those that they affected. Now as far as those who were the shooters, most of these were people who were outcasts, antisocial and not very approachable. Want them to stop? Stop these stupid cliques and look after one another. I understand about peer pressure but that's no excuse for outcasting people and making them feel horrible.

Hey.
i reckon that counciling might be a positive step in this case. A lot of the kids need serious help if they're considering such things, and while it may not be completely noticeable, it can be apparent.
I'm speaking from an Australian high school view. I only know of shootings in school mostly from overseas (US) and i think only one from Australia that comes to mind.
I cant vouch for every Australian school, but mine has a chaplain (coucilor - who is male) as well as a school nurse (who is also trained as a councilor - as it may be easier to talk to someone of the same sex)
Quite a lot of couciling goes on at my school (especially after someone hung themselves in the grounds within the first week)... and there were group counciling sessions to help those who saw the dead body. I reckon that's a great idea, as its professional, and not outragiously priced, plus, the chaplain is available at almost anytime of the day.
And as for privacy? i think if it's on school premisis, the principal has every right to inspect suspected lockers.
it's funny actually.. we dont have lockers anymore.. but that's only becuase they were getting trashed...
so yeah.. and i also think that numbers in schools might also affect things. My school is the largest in it's area by far.. and it has probably around 1700 students...i think 300 in my year alone.

The problem is, why are kids even having guns in the first place? Guns shouldn't even be sold to the public. Even by ensuring people have to be licenced to own a gun, is still not quite sufficient to keep clear of such incidents from happening. Guns can be use for justice but have it in the wrong hands, it becomes a weapon of massacre.

The problem is, why are kids even having guns in the first place? Guns shouldn't even be sold to the public. Even by ensuring people have to be licenced to own a gun, is still not quite sufficient to keep clear of such incidents from happening. Guns can be use for justice but have it in the wrong hands, it becomes a weapon of massacre.

Well for one thing alot of people from my schools have guns, I've been shot before, but there was never a school shooting here. But i think any second one is about to break out.

i dnt see how people get pushed to the edge so bad they want to take others lives i mean i can understand being angry at the world but thats going a bit far

Schools should be helping the students that are struggling and that are having problems so this sort of thing dnt happen well thats my 2 cents anyway

Yes the school should help those who are potentially dangerous, but I believe that the fault also lies with the parents. Shouldn't they know what is going on in their child's life, and if they are endanger of being harmful to other student or the general public than they should also have a responsibility to get their child help.