Separation of Church and State

I saw in this in a different forum, and was curious about what you guys thought about it. For or against?

Me I'm against, my reasons will unfold as I attack yours. :p

OF course it should be separate because of the large number of religions in the world if a theocratic government came to power then there obviously would be oppression of other religions and favoritism towards their own. Lets take Hitler for an example I know it isn't quite the same but work with me here. Being a "ayrian" he believed that all others where inferior hence he killed the jews and some of the Polish. but what I'm getting at is that a similar favoritism could happen if church and state was combined. but on a more Minor scale of favoritism it might just piss a lot of people of an opposing religion off and cause all sorts of internal trouble.

Nori

OF course it should be separate because of the large number of religions in the world if a theocratic government came to power then there obviously would be oppression of other religions and favoritism towards their own. Lets take Hitler for an example I know it isn't quite the same but work with me here. Being a "ayrian" he believed that all others where inferior hence he killed the jews and some of the Polish. but what I'm getting at is that a similar favoritism could happen if church and state was combined. but on a more Minor scale of favoritism it might just piss a lot of people of an opposing religion off and cause all sorts of internal trouble.
The thing about this is that at the moment (in the U.S) there isn't much separation between church and state, because the majority of Americans are Christians. We vote based on our beliefs and because the widespread amount of Christians in the US. Separation is impossible. Also, that's highly unlikely that we'll kill all people that aren't Christian because it goes against our belief. The favoritism is already pissing a lot of people off, and that basically sucks for them, because Christians aren't going anywhere anytime soon in the U.S.

I think that in America there is an inherent amount of Christianity, but ever since the beginning of the country it has decreased slowly. Some inherent things would honesty, etc. However when you have the government openly showing Christianity as what they all are following, that's crossing the border, "cough, bush, cough."
Anyways the idea of Hitler wasn't really concerning the Church, so much as your nationality.

Nori

I'm going to move this to debate. I don't know why this is here in the first place.

This is a good topic, keep it going!

It should be separate by all means. As you have mentioned anytime a religion gets into power they will favor their own.

This happens in the middle east, where other religions are basically banned from existing there. We had trouble in the past with other religions even in canada and the states when the catholic church exerted more power here.

I myself am neutral and dont even vote because of my beliefs that we should be seperate from the state. Anywho thats my opinion