Shinji's Japanese class week 1

Shinji Ikari

Pilot Evangelion unit-1
Shinji’s Japanese class week 1.

Week 1 notes:

Welcome to Shinji Ikari’s Japanese class!! Ok, here we go! I am going to do these threads for people who want to learn Japanese reading, writing, and speaking. You can learn as much or as little as you want. I hope to make each lesson like this. Handwriting pictures, and voice clips from me will be posted sometimes so you can see and hear what I am writing and how things should sound. Taking notes will help as will LOTS of index cards!!

How to study:

I will only be using Hiragana to start. Hirigana is the first Japanese alphabet children learn in Japan. Here is a link to a good chart.

http://www.saiga-jp.com/pronunciation_voice.html

It has sounds too. You do not have to learn Hiragana to keep up, but some of you will, so I shall show you the way!! Each new word should be written on one side of an index card, and the English meaning on the other. Keep one or 2 cards in your pocket and pull it out throughout the course of the day. You will learn fast like this! It is what I do.

I will give 5 new hiragana every week fo rthose who want to learn them. I reccomend keeping a small notebook and write each symbol SLOWLY, fill a page with one symbol, repeating the sound every time you write it. You can easily memorise 5 hiragana each week like this! AND, you will know how to write some proper Japanese!!

Japanese is a great language. I will try not to overwhelm you with information but here are a few things you should keep in mind for the first week.......

1. Romanji (the regular letters I am typing with now) is not proper Japanese spelling.

2. Proper Japanese spelling uses Hiragana, Katakana, and Kanji.....each having a specific use

3. When conversing in Japanese, you always speak humbly, and be polite and as respectfull as possible. You always speak to/of others as if they were more important than you, and speak humbly of yourself.

4. There are no spaces in Japanese kana (kana will refer to Kanji, Hiragana, and Katakana)

5. A lot of words do not have a direct english translation.

OK! Here....we.....go.......

Week 1 vocabulary list:

konnichiwa......こんにちは.........Hello, or good afternoon.

Nihongo .........にほんご...........Japanese language

konbanwa.......こんばんは.........Good evening

oyasuminasai........おやすみなさい........Good night (when going to bed)

ohayou gozaimasau......おはようございます.......Good morning (polite)

doumo arigatou gozaimasu.......どうもありがとうございます....Thank you very much,. (very polite)

dou itashimashite.......どういたしまして.........Your welcome

hai....................はい.................Yes

iie....................いいえ................No

kudasai ...........ください................Please

hajimemashite...........はじめまして.............How do you do!

Douzo yoroshiku onegaishimasu........どうぞよろしくおねがいします.......Pleased to meet you (very polite)

OK, now here is your Hiragana for the week

A........あ

I.........い

U........う

E........え

O.......お

Have fun!! Please ask any questions in the thread so others can learn too!! and here's some pics to prove i practice too........

oh, and my handwriting has gotten a lot better than what is in these pics

seirei

kumo no you ni
I started learning japanese last summer...but I kinda' neglected it in the past months:em0143:

this is a pic of my handwriting in that period...so horrible o.o

...but now I'm determined to start again, and I'll attend all your classes :D

I don't have problems with the pronunciation, it resembles the pronunciation in my language:p

I'll just have to remember hiragana and then we'll move forward^^

どうもありがとうしんじさん! :p

Shinji Ikari

Pilot Evangelion unit-1
hey seirei, that's an awesome idea using graph paper for practice! i'm gonna do that too

いいえ、いいえ、どういたしましてせいれいーちゃん

seirei

kumo no you ni
yeah, I read somewhere that every character should go in a square (4 of...those little squares in my case :p) well...at least I tried:189bbdde:

I should practice more...

Swiss

function Swiss()
I can't type in Japanese on this pc but I won't let that get me down. Now I'm supposed to write from right to left, right??

はじめまして!

わたしのなめわあみいらです!

わたしわじゅうろくです!

ひゅうみわまんがとあにめとだんすおよみます

ようろっぱにすんでいます

にほんごおはなせませよしです!

あの。。。どうぞよろしくおねがいします

see if you can translate THAT!

XD

Shinji Ikari

Pilot Evangelion unit-1
Katsu, double check your spelling.....

name = namae = なまえ

who is Amiira

じゅうろくせい for your age. (you add sei)

what is ひゅうみ?

ようろっぱにすんでいます・・・are you trying to say you are from europe, or are european?

when you want to use the particle "WA" you must use "HA" は

ok, my eyes hurt.... nice try though! that's how you learn!

XD

Amiira is the japanese form of my name.

and thank you. ^^ I did it in romanji first so *shrugs*

i'm both, european and come from europe.

thank you again. Wa and Ha are annoying. =[

Shinji Ikari

Pilot Evangelion unit-1
Check out the link to the chart i gave Katsu.. It has all of the hiragana and if you click on one, it gives a sample of how it is pronounced..

Dante

Devil Hunter of Hell
Very good.

I did take Japanese in high school until my junior year (if you include my middle school practice, thats about 5 years.)

So, it's always good to have refresher lessons =D