The Plague

Arachna

Spider
Staff member
Since i was doing a bit of research today. I came across something of a great interest to me.

I am not approaching it from a religious point of view. I am more curiouse, of what do you guys think about it, if you look at it, in a existential way. A human way. Regardless of religion. Or your opinion about it.

"For who would dare to assert that eternal happiness can compensate for a single moment of human suffering?"
It is a quote from a book called "The Plague" Written by Albert Camus.

On the same topic there is also a book called "The Grand Inquisitor" by Fjodor Mihajlovič Dostojevski.

What say, you?

I'm baffled by the concept.

Not only can one deal with suffering, but a degree of pain in one's life can be a benefit. True despair can be fought through. In the end, suffering can strengthen the spirit. The Greeks used to say that "From suffering comes wisdom." and I'd be inclined to agree with that.

It might tear you up at that moment, but once you have passed through the blender, you come out stronger.

So I reject the idea that suffering is bad at all.

I could back off a few steps and weigh suffering against eternal happiness (which is quite a prize. . . ) but I'd rather go with my more controversial belief.

Suffering, so long as it can be recovered from, strengthens and tempers the human spirit, and endows wisdom upon he who bore it.

Arachna

Spider
Staff member
You know i am still indifferent about it. I am trying to look at it from all the ways possible to approach it. It is kinda fair but unfair.

-lexus-

Visions of Hell
A moment of human suffering compared to eternal happiness can mean a life time of human suffering. Put against eternally pretty much everything that isnt eternal becomes just a 'moment'.

Arachna

Spider
Staff member
Hm. Let me see if i got it.

So if i say oh so : "60 years of a human life that is full of suffering" is nothing compared to eternity of no suffering and bliss? That would be right? Right?
Or in better word. The human life span is a mear moment compared to eternity. <.< >.> So it does not matter,so much.

-lexus-

Visions of Hell
Hm. Let me see if i got it.

So if i say oh so : "60 years of a human life that is full of suffering" is nothing compared to eternity of no suffering and bliss? That would be right? Right?
Or in better word. The human life span is a mear moment compared to eternity. <.< >.> So it does not matter,so much.
Yep, thats pretty much what I meant ^^

"For who would dare to assert that eternal happiness can compensate for a single moment of human suffering?"

Now this can be approached in two ways, meaning two interpretations of the question.

First interpretation: Can eternal happiness compensate for a single moment of human suffering not experienced by you?
Basically, this is a question of morality: Are people willing to watch others suffer so that they themselves can be happy?
Well, this is more or less based on an individual's choice. But I'm guessing that the question refers to the...

Second interpretation: Can eternal happiness compensate for a single moment of human suffering experienced by you?
Well, my answer is yes. Humanity has shown time and again that they are willing to go through suffering so as to experience happiness. Students study hard and go through suffering (technically) so they can be happy after the exams are done. People work hard during their working life so that they can have a happy retirement. Even government policies of increased taxes are so that eventually people will be happier due to increased wealth. In all these cases, this possibly-temporary happiness is enough to compensate for long periods of suffering, so why not eternal happiness?