Traits you look for that make an anime or manga your favorite

Shinji Ikari

Pilot Evangelion unit-1
Must there be a great story?
Cute characters?
Great character development?
Something EPIC?
Lotsa big guns and gigantic explosion type things?
A broken heart?
Maybe just something you can relate to?

Personally i know i like an anime when i start remembering all of the characters names. Then i know it interests me. Great characters and a good story are a must. I look to a a series that you can not help but feel a characters pain, heartache, joy, resolve... etc....

Also a uniqueness to each character. And also a little realism. For instance, i like an anime when a character is only so strong. That character can die, fail etc.....
And not just keep reinventing some abstract concept that allows him/her to suddenly be all powerful again. (one of the reasons i do not watch DBZ and Naruto)

I know i like an anime if i HAVe to sit down and watch the whole series in one sitting or i'll go spastic.....!

Anyway, enough babbling from Shinji...

Lets here what makes an anime or manga RISE ABOVE all others in your humble opinion!

Swiss

function Swiss()
Must be unique, like something I've never seen before
Mystery, story, action

I just like animes/ mangas that capture my eyes and make me want to watch it or read for more than an hour or so.

I don't really care that much about the characters, I mean I've never seen animes or mangas with characters that bored me to death.. so yea.

Must have good action and good characters. The story has to be interesting. And maybe throw in a little romance.

great, original story, cute, even beautiful characters, some action so i won't fall asleep watching, and a little drop of broken heart would make it even better :)

First and foremost whether it's a game or anime or movie story is most important followed by characters.

It needs a strong story or it's nothing.

Everything else like action, romance and what not is just icing on the cake ^_^

Rick

Whatchamacallit
Plot, story flow, character development, anime introduction, OP and ED, background music, anime quality (ex : KyoAni) and..loli :3

Myrk

Dying from moe overdose.
There must be a great story, there must always be a great story,
and there must be great character developments, even though I've watched alot without those and still worked out for me.
I always hate when the main character, if it's a he, is a loser that can't fight.

Must there be a great story
Great character development
Lotsa big guns and gigantic explosion type things...
or sword fighting...
and some comedy too...

i dont want a story that bores me to death and that i cannot understand at all. FCLC-i dont get the story....