Video games/Voilence

Swiss

function Swiss()
As some of you may know I'm in college and my Psychology teacher keeps on saying that most killings are caused by people mimicking what they do in the video games. But I say if the video games can lead people to kill, what about movies, majority of todays movies have a massive amount of violence. I wonder why people always use video games as an example, is it because with a video game you are actually the character u are playing and it feels as though u yourself is in the game so u r interacting with CG people as though u r a part of that world and when u finish playing the game u behave the same way in the real world. And in movies u just sit and watch with minimum interaction. What are your views on this?

Archangel

Thats just a BS escuse . Most of the most violent games and Movies come from japan but there crime rate isnt even half of the US. Also people say its cuz we have a shit load amount of guns but that also BS cuz Canada has 3 times the amount of guns then we do and they dont even have murder over there , there biggest cuty had like 1 in the past 2 years. Ask your teacher about that 50 bucks say she cant say anything back and you can get all the info online to prove her BS wrong.

Swiss

function Swiss()
oh it's a MALE teacher I forgot to specify. And I totally disagree with him, I just want to to pass this course so I can get rid of this subject. It's messing with my mind. Video games rule and is definately not the cause for people going insane and killing.

Archangel

MYbad on that , but yeah i just think its BS cuz you kill if you want to. Yeah there are time were it cant be helped and someone gets killed by accident but when it comes to someone going after someone its cuz you want to.

Swiss

function Swiss()
Yes absolutely, I think so too. I have his class today, If he says anything about it again I'll put him in his place, by starting a debate on it and with everyone on my side I'll win.

I also agree that it's bs. Anybody that blames video games, is cause they're too weak to blame themselves. They just want a convenient scape goat. Losers.

The correlation between video games and violence is an interesting topic and should be discussed in the public forum more often. The problem is, most of the people who debate the issue and call themselves professionals do not play video games. The people who do are dismissed as being sympathetic to video game players and their ideas are dismissed outright.

When it comes to the claim that video games breed violence, one must realize that the blame must be passed around. It comes down to several parties:

PARENTS. Hey guys, where are you most of the time? Can you tell me what your kids are playing? The story of the game? Any plot points or games within the game? Is that a collective silence I hear? It seems that more and more parental units are disengaging themselves from their children at a time when their presence is most important - the years of adolescence. If parents don't want you to play a certain video game, they should take some amount of control and STOP YOU. Easy as pie.

TEENAGERS. Oh yes. If your parents tell you you can't play a certain game, they have a perfectly good reason to do so. And guess what? They don't have to explain their actions to you. They are raising you and know what is best for you. Yes, some of them really suck, but the majority is looking out for your well-being. Also, kids? If you are seriously thinking of copying the activities in Vice City, think about it a second time. Video games are not realistic portrayals of the real world. Therefore, they should not be used as guides to said world. I am not going out and shouting German phrases at random people while lighting them on fire with my Zippo because I play a lot of .hack//infection on the PS2. I am not shooting people and stealing police cars because of my love for GTA: Vice City. Common sense - please, use it.

TEACHERS/COUNSELORS: If a child is showing signs that he/she is gonna pop a cap into the school principal any time soon, move in like a hawk and nip it in the bud. But you also have to realize not every kid who is quiet and wears dark colors are potential Colombine High shooters. You should encourage open discussion about important issues like this, not hide this under the pretentious belief that you are shielding us. The only thing you are keeping us from is the truth.

MEDIA: You are blowing up the situation and making it worse. These stories involving shootings at school are not just pieces for you to boost ratings. Remember when you report that real people have died and it has affected real people. However, you should keep reporting it and keep the topic in the public forum.

GAME MAKERS: Katamari Dancy. WTF? Honestly, you have done all you can. You put warning labels on and have shrink wrapped games and have even kept people under the age of 18 from buying certain games. Just remember one thing - there is a fine line between a shoot-em-up video game and a video nasty. You gotta walk that line to prevent falling over.

All video games, regardless of content, have a degree of non-reality. Even army games like SOCOM and Wolfenstein [remember that one? XD] are not realistic enough to be believed. Yet a small, rare minority of students are taking video games as the gospel. The same can be said for TV and movies and music. Honestly - if you listen to Good Charlotte or Nine Inch Nails and you take them to their word, you are not using common sense at all.

[deep breath] This post is so TL;DR it should be illegal. Did it make sense to anyone?

I think I get what you mean, and I pretty much I agree, based on what I get. I can see your point that it may cause some problems, but only to those who already may have issues. Like those that are mentally unstable, and if that's the case the responsibility does rely on the parents. One case I completely forgot about. Correct me if I'm wrong, about what you're saying.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lorthimyer @ 3-22-2007 @ 7:26 PM) [snapback]5253[/snapback]</div>
I think I get what you mean, and I pretty much I agree, based on what I get. I can see your point that it may cause some problems, but only to those who already may have issues. Like those that are mentally unstable, and if that's the case the responsibility does rely on the parents. One case I completely forgot about. Correct me if I'm wrong, about what you're saying.[/b]
Oh yes. That is definitely what I am saying. :D This is why I don't understand why parents use video games as a sort of pacifier for their kids if the kids are problem children already. If they can't properly comprehend their world, why would the understand that video games are not part of it? Arrrgh! Yes, I am glad you get what I'm saying. I haven't been on a debate board since an embarrassing stunt on the otaku.jp boards a long time ago.

Swiss

function Swiss()
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The_Seventh_L @ 3-22-2007 @ 7:57 PM) [snapback]5221[/snapback]</div>
The correlation between video games and violence is an interesting topic and should be discussed in the public forum more often. The problem is, most of the people who debate the issue and call themselves professionals do not play video games. The people who do are dismissed as being sympathetic to video game players and their ideas are dismissed outright.

When it comes to the claim that video games breed violence, one must realize that the blame must be passed around. It comes down to several parties:

PARENTS. Hey guys, where are you most of the time? Can you tell me what your kids are playing? The story of the game? Any plot points or games within the game? Is that a collective silence I hear? It seems that more and more parental units are disengaging themselves from their children at a time when their presence is most important - the years of adolescence. If parents don't want you to play a certain video game, they should take some amount of control and STOP YOU. Easy as pie.

TEENAGERS. Oh yes. If your parents tell you you can't play a certain game, they have a perfectly good reason to do so. And guess what? They don't have to explain their actions to you. They are raising you and know what is best for you. Yes, some of them really suck, but the majority is looking out for your well-being. Also, kids? If you are seriously thinking of copying the activities in Vice City, think about it a second time. Video games are not realistic portrayals of the real world. Therefore, they should not be used as guides to said world. I am not going out and shouting German phrases at random people while lighting them on fire with my Zippo because I play a lot of .hack//infection on the PS2. I am not shooting people and stealing police cars because of my love for GTA: Vice City. Common sense - please, use it.

TEACHERS/COUNSELORS: If a child is showing signs that he/she is gonna pop a cap into the school principal any time soon, move in like a hawk and nip it in the bud. But you also have to realize not every kid who is quiet and wears dark colors are potential Colombine High shooters. You should encourage open discussion about important issues like this, not hide this under the pretentious belief that you are shielding us. The only thing you are keeping us from is the truth.

MEDIA: You are blowing up the situation and making it worse. These stories involving shootings at school are not just pieces for you to boost ratings. Remember when you report that real people have died and it has affected real people. However, you should keep reporting it and keep the topic in the public forum.

GAME MAKERS: Katamari Dancy. WTF? Honestly, you have done all you can. You put warning labels on and have shrink wrapped games and have even kept people under the age of 18 from buying certain games. Just remember one thing - there is a fine line between a shoot-em-up video game and a video nasty. You gotta walk that line to prevent falling over.

All video games, regardless of content, have a degree of non-reality. Even army games like SOCOM and Wolfenstein [remember that one? XD] are not realistic enough to be believed. Yet a small, rare minority of students are taking video games as the gospel. The same can be said for TV and movies and music. Honestly - if you listen to Good Charlotte or Nine Inch Nails and you take them to their word, you are not using common sense at all.

[deep breath] This post is so TL;DR it should be illegal. Did it make sense to anyone?[/b]

I like how u put your words together. You should speak out against this type of stuff more often. I must commend u

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Swiss @ 3-23-2007 @ 10:56 PM) [snapback]5325[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The_Seventh_L @ 3-22-2007 @ 7:57 PM) [snapback]5221[/snapback]

[deep breath] This post is so TL;DR it should be illegal. Did it make sense to anyone?[/b]

I like how u put your words together. You should speak out against this type of stuff more often. I must commend u
[/b][/quote]

Thank you! :) Nice to know that when I brush off my current-event-discussing chops, it's coherent and pretty good. :smile:

Have you guys ever heard that doctors say that video games help people ADHD? I have, and my question is why do most parents seem to automatically assume that the kid can play any game. I'm just trying to add on to Seventh L. Granted I don't like it when my parents restrict me from stuff, but I can understand why.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lorthimyer @ 3-24-2007 @ 4:01 PM) [snapback]5351[/snapback]</div>
Have you guys ever heard that doctors say that video games help people ADHD? I have, and my question is why do most parents seem to automatically assume that the kid can play any game. I'm just trying to add on to Seventh L. Granted I don't like it when my parents restrict me from stuff, but I can understand why.[/b]
My mom never restricts me game-wise. Hell, we used to play Diablo 2 online together. XD

I think that when a doctor diagnoses a child with ADHD and suggests video games, they already know certain games that will help. I can't think of any off the top of my head, but I'm sure they'd be the first to know. Obviously, they'd be games that grab the kid's attention and keep it grabbed, but I don't know what would qualify as those types of games.