Assassin Games Dictionary

ANYONE OTHER THAN KERO CANNOT WRITE IN THIS THREAD WITHOUT HER EXPRESS PERMISSION, WHICH CRESTHAM HAS OBTAINED, THEREFORE IT IS EDITING THIS THREAD. THANKS~

-UNDER CONSTRUCTION-

>ENTRY BY CRESTHAM<
An assassin game has often been referred to as one of betrayal, deceit and lies. I like to think otherwise. From my experience, it is more than that. I'm not trying to glorify these games, but playing them requires a large amount of teamwork, trust and rational thinking, coupled with the ability to read. It is not as what many have called the assassin games, it is not merely a vulgar display of brash violence, but a graceful expression of superior logic, much like how Lelouch Vi Britannia plays chess.

Assassin Game Skeleton

- A typical Assassin game consists of two factions: The Villagers and the Assassins.

- Every "Day" period Players discuss in the Discussion Thread on who they think is the Assassin. They then vote their respective choices in the Voting Thread. The person with the most votes gets lynched. Most actions performed in a day is reflected in a Day Post, meant to give clues to players on who has done what.

- Normally, there would be a "Night" period of the game, where Assassins discuss who they should kill. However, because there is such a thing as PM, the Assassins decide their kill via PM instead. Discussion also takes place mostly through PMs, or mass IM convos.

- Players with Abilities will also choose their targets via PM

- The cycle keeps going until either:

1. All the Assassins are dead

2. The number of Villagers are equal to the remaining Assassins

- The above is an example of a typical Assassin game. Some games may have different rules according to the host's preference.

Abilities

There are a few abilities typical to AGs:

- Kill Abilities: You kill a target Player..

- Investigation Abilities: You discover the role, or part of the role, of a target Player.

- Protection Abilities: You prevent any kill abilities from working on a target Player. Sometimes, this also prevents investigation.

- Ability Nullification: You prevent a target Player from using abilities.

- Vote Altering Abilities: Rig the votes according to your abilities. (Eg: You can "change" another players vote to another target)

- Passive Abilities: Work without the need for you to PM the GM. (Eg: Your vote counts twice instead of the usual 1)

- Posting Requirements: EVIL but compulsory when you are to post in the thread (Eg: You must write "I hate you" at the end of every post in the Discussion thread).

Depending on the GM you may be rewarded for doing so, but mostly it is there to help others identify you. If you fail to add your requirement, you may be punished.

Once again, abilities are game specific. Some games may have abilities which do not work all the time, while other games may add different tiers of abilities.

Voting

- Done in the Voting Thread

- Some games have inactive rules based on voting. If you do not vote for a certain period of time, you will be killed for inactivity, unless you have informed the GM of your inactivity before that period of time.

- If you want to change your vote, you must use a strikethrough (Button next to the SPOILER one or {S} name {/S} using square brackets). Under no circumstances are you allowed to delete any previous votes listed. It is against the general voting rules to do so and it is highly frowned upon.

Eg: kero_69

Alone.Me
GMV

- Sometimes people add GMV to the end of that post. It means: Gets My Vote, so it is not needed unless their names are below 10 characters. That was on MF. Here, on Muffin Central, our minimum character requirement is 3 characters, but using GMV has sort of stuck, so meh.

Posting

- You will be b****ed and moaned about during MSN convos if you SPAM (I kid you not). Not only that, it adds nothing to the Discussion Thread and you can be quickly lynched/killed because of it too

Spam is fun sometimes when you're just waiting for the day to end, but keep it at a minimum.

- It has come to my attention that a bunch of people say that they do not know what to post.

- Posting is simple: Give your opinion on the topic at hand, for example, someone is being accused as an Assassin. Share whether you think that person is an assassin or not, and give reasons to support it.

- Starting an accusation is not as simple. You need to find evidence from their previous posts and perhaps check day posts for clues, unless you've investigated that bastard and can confirm he's an assassin.

- Defending yourself is the most difficult of all. Will expand on this.

- Posts are recommended (by Kero's standards at least) to be 50% MAX to contain spam.

- Only Roleplaying in your post counts as 100% spam. You can still Roleplay AND contribute to the conversation at hand

- It is Banned for someone to screenshot/typeshot their Role PMs. One can reveal their roles in other ways though. Whether they believe you or not is another story.

- It is Highly Discouraged (and generally frowned upon) for one to be Publicly Role Gathering. It is also difficult to rolegather; you can be easily infiltrated by players from other factions.

- It is Highly Discouraged (and VERY MUCH frowned upon) for one to talk to the "Dead" players and then posting about it in the Discussion thread

- Posting about things that get you banned or are frowned upon will ruin the hard work a GM has put into their game as well as screw up groups of people (allies and enemies alike). If you want to do those bad things, do it privately. Stay out of the Discussion Thread. In layman's terms: GTFO

Tactical Flow Chart by Geoff

Props to Geoff who has created this tactical flow chart. Simple to understand and does so with a humourous approach~

SPECIAL NOTE:
Keep in mind that the Skeleton are only the basics in AGs and that there are many unexplored territories when it comes to Themed ones. A theme is like the flesh to the skeleton and when the AG is in action, we see the "person run".

Hosters can add or take away from these basic guidelines. Keep that in mind. Such as an example is the introduction of an Xth faction.

Info Gathering for Dummies

kero_69 said:
-CENSORED- said:
You've been warned.

We can come to some sort of an agreement if you are willing
One is only willing if there is to be info exchanged.

-CENSORED-

Also feel it needed to say: You do not threaten someone's AG "life" if you want info by saying: "you're going to die. You have been warned".

-CENSORED-

If you want info, ask nicely for a deal to be made. Then try to kill the bastard if you can if they didn't comply.

-CENSORED-
That was a PM that I replied to as you all can see. I'm not really happy about that. Especially to find out that people have been doing info gathering in such an uncouth way is bad. As an (self-appointedly) honourable Info Gatherer, I will school you all in some basic etiquette in Info gathering.

Steps for Info Gathering

You can refer to Geoff's Flowchart if you want something more graphical to refer to.

- Once you got your role PM from the GM you have 2 choices:

1. Wait for people to ask for info to be exchanged

2. Start PMing other players for info

- Once your victim the other player replies to you, they will have 3 typical responses:

1. They are willing to share anything and everything despite not knowing whether you are to be trusted - "screw decorum and tradition! I want info! NAAAAAAAOOO!!!!!"

2. Maybe. They're treading lightly so limited info will be exchanged until they are 100% sure to trust you

3. Hell NO. They refuse to give info. Period. There is little to deter them from prying info on their role/abilities until they're dead and buried.

- Your choices are:

1. Leech info from them until they're nothing but a shell of a husk at your beck and call until the end of the game

2. If you have the ability to, use it to find out their identity or hints of it

3. Ignore them (this is if they PM you or if they don't have info)

- All in all, whatever you do, DO NOT THREATEN ANYONE!!!!!!!!

PMing for Info

While it is acknowledged that you can ask person for info every which way, here's a few templates to get you started:

Extremely Polite said:
Hello ________,

I was wondering if you are willing to exchange information with me?
Casual said:
Hey.

Wanna swap info?
Very Casual said:
Yo bro!

Info swap?
Soon to be dead Stupido (ie: Don't copy) said:
You are going to die.

If you want to live, give me all your info

Role Reading (In further detail)

.hack// AG has proved to me that some people may actually have trouble reading roles.

Basic Role Layout said:
Name/Character/Occupation: Who you are

Faction: What side you are on

Abilities: The [RAINBOW]Shinies[/RAINBOW]

Posting Requirement: What you have to post every time you write a post in the Discussion Thread
With the recent additions of the "Zombie Army" Faction in some games, it may be confusing to newer players that the fact is that you lose your old role and gain a new one.

When you gain a new Role PM, you are now a NEW character. It is usually denoted by the new Role PM in BRIGHT RED LETTERS that you are no longer a part of the old faction in the first Role PM that you received.

NOTE: Everybody hates a rat without a rat role.

Victories In Detail

After all this talk about victories and the like from a someone, I realised that I have completely forgotten about writing about Victories and things related to it. Especially now more than ever, they are getting increasingly more detailed and complex.

If you have any issues regarding this, please PM me. I will not accept requests for this thread anywhere else.

Types And Definition

Supreme Victory

Attained by a single faction if they completely wipe out any opposing factions before killing all of the assassins. eg: The Holy Britannian Empire must first destroy the Chinese Federation and the Black Knights before killing all members of the Zero Knights.

Normal Victory

Attained by wiping out the assassins. Most factions must survive. eg: The Holy Britannian Empire cooperates with the other factions to get rid of the Zero Knights. The other factions remain untouched as possible.

In the case of the Assassins, this is their default victory.

Special Victory/Individual Victory

Attained by an individual player and not by any groups, though they may assist in completing the goal. Only the individual with the goal is credited for that. This victory must be followed to the letter. In the case that your Special Victory is a manhunt, your ability must be the one that kills the target as it won't count if they die by lynch or in someone else's hands. eg: Spinzaku Suzaku must kill Zero.

Zombie Victory

A relatively new way of victory, this is only a victory for a Zombie Faction. This victory condition consists of one condition: Outnumber the other factions. This is achieved through killing all other factions or by converting them to this alliance. eg: The Black Magic Club must outnumber the members of Host Club, NPC and Zuka combined.

AG Glossary/Dictionary

Some of you have noticed I've put words in BOLD in the earlier posts. Many of these are AG terms (and other "new" terms) that will be clarified below.

AG: Short-form of the term Assassin Game. The game you want to learn how to play and the (more than) one you will join.

GM: Short-form of the term Game Master. Also known as the Host of the game, they are the person/s running the game.

PM Hell: A term used by the GMs to describe the onslaught of PMs that come by players every day during the AG they host. It is somewhat more manageable now with the implementation of the PM Protocol.

PM Protocol: Began during the Durarara!! AG (that's mine~) as an optional means to neaten PM Hell, it has become popular for other GMs to add to their set of actual rules. Players must adhere to PMing according to the Protocol or face being ignored and getting their Ability PMs deleted.

Players: Everyone participating in the Assassin Game.

Role PM: What every player receives unless stated otherwise. It means you become a character (if it is a themed one) or an occupation (if it's the bare bones version). It normally contains:

- Your Role Name (identity)

- Alliance (who you are allied to. Normally Villagers or Assassins. Is specified in a GM's list of Rules)

- Abilities (things you can do during the "Night" by PMing the GM on the days they allow it to be used)

- Posting Requirement if you have one (something you will have to add to every one of your Discussion Thread posts)

- Allies if there is a need for the GM to put it in (A small list of other players in the game that you can work with together in the game)

OPed: Short-form of Over Powered. Defines a role that has abilities that are considered to be above average. Such abilities can include: Immortality, Reviving a dead Player, Kill abilities which can affect more than one person a day.

Assassins: The ones that must "die".... Unless you are them, in which case, the allies you need to protect.

Discussion Thread: Where Players talk about who's acting shifty and who to vote for.

"Day": A normally 24 hour period between each GM "Day Post"

"Day Post": A post made by the GM about the results of the daily lynch and some of the abilities used during the "Night".

eg: Day 6 ends by getting Alone.Me lynched and kero_69 killed by an Assassin. Day 7 now starts.

"Night": Essentially the same as "Day", but it is done via PMing your abilities to the GM. It is only a time separation in name only. It is not in Real Time, but it is done by the host in Day Posts to allow there for a "time period" for people to be lynched and killed.

Night Mode: A new rule implemented which restricts the way Players can communicate by forcing them to be unable to communicate to anyone else in-game other than the GM unless they are an Assassin. Assassins however, can only communicate with each other and the GM. The most recent example of a Night Mode is from ViváLáDementiá (AKA: MostWanted)'s Doubt AG.

Voting Thread: The place where you nominate a Player to die at the end of the "Day".

Lynch: What will happen to the Player with the most votes. ie: They die. Unless protected.

Sheeping: People voting one after the other for the same Player and usually for no reason. A Player who is Sheeping, is called a Sheep. Credits go to Aya for being the first to implement the RAINBOW SHEEP into the AG threads.

Wolves(in sheep's clothing): They act like sheep, but they have ulterior motives. Usually "sheep voting" to make sure that the voted player is dead. Usually denotes the Assassin when voting.

Shepherd: Essentially one who starts a lynch on someone. Can be any one Player.

Role Gatherers: People who gather other players' roles for the sake of knowing other players' identities. Usually done by sending their own role as a supposed "equivalent exchange".

Informants: People who gather others players' information on various things. Information generally shared and exchanged by informants include: Roles, Abilities and what players (that arn't the client or informant) are doing (such as killing a certain player). A very dangerous stance to take and can get one killed because of the information held.

Inactives: Posts and votes only to stay alive. Sometimes forgets and gets killed off in the games by the GM.

Going Under the Radar: A skilled Inactive's Modus Operandi. By acting like a normal Inactive Player, they disappear from most Players' minds' until it is too late (ie: the victims die). Also can be known as a Lurker.

Aggressive Player: A Player who commonly takes on the role of the Shepherd, but also takes rights to steering the flow of the game their way as best they can. They will argue and debate through the use of logic and quotes.

Take heed my warning that they WILL make use of every post should you slip up. Most well known Aggressive Player to date is Phyrephox (aE).

Passive Player: Somewhat inactive, but will actually read posts and only to reply when it is needed. They mostly control behind the scenes with Abilities though.

MSN Parties: Works with any other IM kinda thing. Essentially a group chat with allies (or those pretending to be) on the game at hand. Also a great place to complain about your AG death and the rise of stupidos.

War Game: What GMs don't want happening. Everyone knowing who everyone is and they're starting a b****fight in the Discussion Thread as well as focusing Night kills and lynches on each other. Usual instigator of War Games are Stupido Role Gatherers.

Player Made Terms

This is where me and a couple of other Players have decided to make a couple of words that have been or are most likely going to be used repeatedly until nobody even remembers where the term came from. You can PM me if you want to add your 2 cents to this list, but I don't guarantee that it will be added (unless it begins to be used by Players other than yourself).

EDIT: Due to popular demand, I will now separate "Player Tactics" and "Terms" so that it looks neater.

If there is a need to rectify anything in this thread, do let me or one of the mods (when I'm not around) know so it will be changed. I don't wish to offend anyone.

AG "Slang" Terms

Stupido: [Origin/Creator: N/A /Aya] A derogatory term used by some people to describe the following:

- Players who constantly break the AG's rules even after being warned

- Players who do not operate on logic in AGs

- Players who SPAM

- Players who completely ignore others' opinions and logic and continually try to force their own point of view on others

Thesaurus (Other words relating): idiot, moron, retard, n00b, nub, s*** for brains

eg: ***** is a Stupido!

Manipulative B****: [Origin/Creator: Wolfie /Phyrephox (aE)+ Wolfie] A derogatory term, but can be used in a good sense..... Sorta.

A Player who is known to be a threat because of their ability to be able to control others whether the "victims" like it or not.

Typically dies on day one due to the fears of Stupidos and regulars alike. Cannot be trusted whether they are an ally or not and thus would mostly not survive to see the end of the AG.

Thesaurus: wolf, puppeteer, threat, dangerous person, predator, Wolfie

Aidan's Cool Club: [Origin/Creator: Aidan/Aya] Essentially a gathering of Players (with Aidan being the "leader") who are notorious for putting the hate on wolfie (AKA: Emmie/CG).

The Club is currently in a debate to change their Club name. One suggestion from Jarrett was: The Circle of B****in' Times.

Day 1 Sacrifice: [Origin/Creator: N/A / -Tash-] A term used by Players to describe the victim for the Day 1 lynching. Usually a Player disliked for their methods of playing or a Player who is randomly chosen..... Or Bloodrazor.

He doesn't fit in the other 2 categories. I guess people just sacrifice him cause of his name or something *shrugs*

Zombie Win: [Origin/Creator: 2010 Halloween AG/juanchoh] First seen acknowledged in the 2010 Halloween AG. Refers to a situation where the two main factions are too preoccupied in taking each other out that a third faction sweeps in and takes ultimate victory.

This dictionary keeper has noticed that the Zombie Win has also been in previous games but will retain the original name of the term.

The Zombie Win has actually been around in MF AGs ever since the Code Geass game where the Black Knights gained victory after the Britannians was versing the rest of the players.

It also has happened in the Durarara!! game also where all the other factions ended up killing each other and that the Blue Squares have gained victory from "inactivity".

Newbie Hosting Trap: [Origin/Creator: General AG Thread/godofwar7] A term made especially for first time hosts who are over-enthusiastic about hosting a bigger game than they could actually handle. When they do..... (>o>)

Usually involves purgatory courtesy of PM Hell and then possibly subsequent rants in the General Thread or during MSN Parties.

FFG'ing: [Origin/Creator: Christmas Special 2010 "Christmas Brawl AG"/Most☆Wanted] A group of players silly enough who are being heavily exploited by an obvious Assassin (an assassin who is already been exposed as one or an assassin who can't hide very well)

eg: "It's ok to ally with me, I don't FFG"

Doppelganger Fail: [Origin/Creator: Hadriel in MT] Occurs when another player tells you that his role is your role. They are the unluckiest liars in the world at the point when you facepalm. Quote is from the Origin-Creator.

It happened to me twice during PiFace's second P3MM AG. First, Crestham told me that he was Kirijo, but I was Kirijo. Then, Miyako told me that she was Pharos, but I also had the side role of Pharos.
Jarrett: [Origin/Creator: Werewolves AG/Jarrett] A term to denote GMs who give up at the end of the game intentionally. Tends to screw things up to get it over and done with.

chronicle_: [Origin/Creator: chronicle_/.Rinri.] A term used for a player who asks for specific people for help/to be allies with, but does not yield the desired result due to it being seemingly suspicious.

First used by the titular user chronicle_ during the Christmas Brawl AG and the Alice in Wonderland x Hitobashira Alice AG respectively.

Vet Targets: [Origin/Creator: Rah-/Kaze Araki] A derogatory term to describe people who repeatedly die early in-game and then go out to complain incessantly about it. See Spoiler below to get the original quote for the term.

Veteran AGer is a collection of losers that always bitch around about dying early in a game.

Vet Target Practice: [Origin/Creator: Rah-/PiFace314] The art of killing Vet Targets before Day 3 of any game. Snipers are those who are guilty of this practice.

Inactive Fag: [Origin/Creator: Unknown] People who sign up for an AG but do not even vote or post or PM the GM.

Tactics Named After Players

Collide: [Origin/Creator: Tash's Slave (formerly known as Collide)/kero_69] A tactic used by a Player when they are being accused of being an Assassin, but arn't.

A "Collide" is pulled off when the accused Player sends their Role PMs to a lot of other Players in hopes of escaping lynch.

Tash Strategy: [Origin/Creator: -Tash-] A tactic used most commonly by -Tash- in which they will kill any player they can.

It's pretty much guilty until proven innocent (once dead).

Miista: [Origin/Creator: MiistaMangafox] A tactic used by a player to gain protection, to voice their last words and possibly sympathy which will hopefully get one protected and to piss off as many Players possible.

One would be to cry and scream for help and shout "I'm gonna' die", when thinking you're about to die, but surprisingly you survive.... Has a low rate of succeeding cause many would want you dead after doing so due to being annoyed (There is a hate club for that too).

Kultiman Strategy: [Origin/Creator: Kulitman] When the amount of professional AGers to newbies in game are in extremes. (The experience is worlds apart). The newbie Players attempts to shift all attentions to the Veterans by getting them lynched.

CLANNAD: [Origin/Creator: Bloodrazor/Kawaii No Megami-sama] This term was created in the ISML (International Saimoe League) AG.

Due to the situational Point of View of both the Origin and the Creator, this will be separated into 2 meanings. One being from what the Origin sees and one from what the Creator and 3rd parties would see in the game.

1. A successful lynching/killing instigated by a rat role (spy, secret agent) used to save their own AG "life" by causing an "unknown" coup d'état on the actual leader of the Sub-Faction of which the other Sub-Faction members are unaware of their leader's identity

2. As a bystander, one would see this as a randomly coordinated coup d'état which has unfortunately succeeded due to not knowing who their Sub-Faction leader was. Theories as to why they did are many, but one does not really know until the actual end of the AG.

Aya's Henchmen Strategy: [Origin/Creator: Aya (now known as Solaris)/Geoff] Refers to a situation where a player will stick to following another, more experienced player till the end of the game. If the more experienced player is capable, they will lead to victory.