Easy trick to always know 24-hour clocks

Diablodoc

Dark Lord of Erotics
Since the 24-hour clock is widely used, yet also widely unused.. I'll provide here a quick and easy formula to always solve the 24-hour clock :)But first, what is the 24-hour clock?The 24-hour clock is a clock system we use for example in Europe. It allows us to write (Without using AM and PM abbreviations) the exact time on any digital clock, or else. It's easy.The 12-hour clock (Standard in America) goes from 1-12.The 24-hour clock goes from 1-24.Meaning, where the 12-h clock changes "AM" to "PM", the 24-hour clock doesn't - It keeps counting till 24!That means that the first 12 hours are identically displayed, but once the clock goes OVER 12:00 AM, the 24-hour clock will display things like "13:00" and that's when you need to convert!The 24-hour clock may display 12:00 PM as either "24:00", or just plainly "00:00". This is fine, since that is the time when the clock would reset anyway and start over.
Solution
[ Subtract the entire number by 2. Then subtract only the first digit, with 1. ](Only applies to the HOUR, not minutes etc!)(If the first digit becomes 0, it isn't needed. Remove it :wink:)
That's it! Do what's within those brackets, and you'll succeed!
Examples:
-------------------------Example 1--------------------------Say the clock is 23:00Minutes don't need to be converted. Let's focus on the hour: 23Step 1: Subtract the hour with 2. 23 - 2 = 21Step 2: Subtract the first digit with 121 becomes 11Result: Clock is now 11:00 (PM) - Well done! -------------------------Example 2--------------------------Say the clock is 19:00Minutes don't need to be converted. Let's focus on the hour: 19Step 1: Subtract the hour with 2. 19 - 2 = 17Step 2: Subtract the first digit with 117 becomes 07Since the first digit resulted in a ZERO, we will remove it!It becomes just: 7Result: Clock is now 7:00 (PM) - Well done!
Explanation:
Aka, this is how it goes:Green is AM - Red is PM1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12.. and back to start!That's how the 12-hour clock counts, right?If you notice it, there are then 2 sets: AM and PM. In total, there are 24 hours in a day.But the 12-hour clock doesn't display all of them, it naturally only displays 12 and calls it a different thing when the 13th and 14th hours, etc, come..The 24-hour clock doesn't do that. It just counts honestly.1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24.. and back to start!
AlternativelyIf you really really want to, you can do it the old-fashion method instead; Just subtract the entire hour by 12 and put "PM" on the end of it.Depends on whether you prefer counting all the way down, or just take 2 digits and then a third.It's about how your mind works best :thumbsup:

Diablodoc

Dark Lord of Erotics
Yes, my method is just the same as subtracting 12 - Except that it's easier for some. People tend to count all the way down to 12..This is the more simplified, "quick way". You do this in math, so there's plenty of reason to think like that here too :thumbsup:[quote name='"DarkSign' date=' post: 25617"']Caution! It can go from 0-23And 24h style are way normal here on my country. No difficulties into changing formats.[/quote]What brilliant sexy country is that?

Diablodoc

Dark Lord of Erotics
[quote name='"pangary' date=' post: 25619"']@Dia It's possible, where 23.59 goes to 0.00[/quote]I know, that's how mine works :wink:

Diablodoc

Dark Lord of Erotics
[quote name='"DarkSign' date=' post: 25621"']@Diablo: Brazil. We tend to tell the time using 12h style, but we do prefer our digital clocks to have the 24h style.[/quote]Norway do the same! Norway and Brazil should hook up :teehee:

ZeroKnight

ǤξД§§ ʃᵯᵯӨƦŦДζ
I had been wanting to start using a 24h format for a long while now. I just didn't have the audacity to memorize what meant what. But thanks to your little trick, you just made it happen. My lappy's System time is now in 24h :pThanks much sir!I do prefer the "old-fashioned", of subtracting 12, it's a bit easier that way ^^You're awesome Diablodoc

M

Maszrum

Lol. You people are complicating the simplest things. We use 24 hours clock here and really- learn the 12 hour clock was a matter of few tries for me when I was a kid since people use it here too. As in- I just remembered it cause it's really really really easy. And no it's actually not a military-only time. It is being used in military but some countires use it.... just because. Sorry if I sound like a troll but this thread just makes me laugh.

Diablodoc

Dark Lord of Erotics
[quote name='"Maszrum' date=' post: 25624"']Lol. You people are complicating the simplest things. We use 24 hours clock here and really- learn the 12 hour clock was a matter of few tries for me when I was a kid since people use it here too. As in- I just remembered it cause it's really really really easy. And no it's actually not a military-only time. It is being used in military but some countires use it.... just because. Sorry if I sound like a troll but this thread just makes me laugh.[/quote]Well then I'm glad at least some users found it useful. Thank you.

Synergiance

403 - Permission denied
It became subconscious for me xDbut it backfires when reading the time sometimes, I've subtracted 2 twice sometimes, and sometimes I subtract 2 from 12 hour time in the afternoon by accident. Also, I've subtracted 2 on regular numbers, its a mess, but normally I'm fine

ZeroKnight

ǤξД§§ ʃᵯᵯӨƦŦДζ
[quote name='"Maszrum' date=' post: 25624"']Lol. You people are complicating the simplest things. We use 24 hours clock here and really- learn the 12 hour clock was a matter of few tries for me when I was a kid since people use it here too. As in- I just remembered it cause it's really really really easy. And no it's actually not a military-only time. It is being used in military but some countires use it.... just because. Sorry if I sound like a troll but this thread just makes me laugh.[/quote]Cool story bro.Lol, in all seriousness, I'm glad at least someone else knows that 24h format != "military time". It irks me when people refer to it as that. I just wanna hit 'em with a brick.