Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus, and darkness resides in Pluto

Zero Phoenix

The Second Coming of Hazama
Yes, everything has to resolve around sex and murder no?

Also, that doesnt make sense, even according to Freud. Not all action can be traced back to the ID. In normal healthy human beings, the Super Ego makes sure of that.

I know right. I think Freud had a knack for projecting his own imperfections onto others.

Rascal

You realize Dragons are also in the dictionary right? Does that make them exist?
assuming this is rhetorical i wont answer. now we need to define "exist" ... dragons exist in fantasy novels. Selfless-ness exists in the perfect human being, except now you would say perfection doesnt exist ... this whole tangent is stupid.

back to the original question, ideal relationships are selfish and sincere. : D tadaa

Kaze Araki

Libertarian Communist
If I were to summarize my position, it is as follow:

Id is born with us, it represent all of our primitive instinct.
Superego develop as restriction of Id as it is enforced to us from the outside.
Ego is our self projection in reality which balance both Id and Superego.

Regardless of these development, ultimately our action is done to satisfy the Id, albeit with adjustment by Ego and Superego - therefore "Selfishness".

Rascal

orrrrrrrrrrr we could break all aspects of life into chemical reactions and eliminate all these terminologies =w=

-lexus-

Visions of Hell
If I were to summarize my position, it is as follow:

Id is born with us, it represent all of our primitive instinct.
Superego develop as restriction of Id as it is enforced to us from the outside.
Ego is our self projection in reality which balance both Id and Superego.

Regardless of these development, ultimately our action is done to satisfy the Id, albeit with adjustment by Ego and Superego - therefore "Selfishness".
If you were to satisfy the ID, you would be listening to it. There is very little compromise between either doing your mom or killing everyone who reminds you of your dad. Thankfully, you have the super ego that says you cant do all those things, or anything that remotely looks like it. So youre not actually fulfilling your desires. Actually, if you read Freud, he even says that. Because modern society doesnt allow your fulfillment of all your primitive desires, people get frustrated, causing all kinds of negative side effects.

Kaze Araki

Libertarian Communist
Ego always seeks to satisfy the Id but with adjustment to the reality of the outside world (represented by the repressive Superego).
For example;
When hungry, we are instinctively will try to eat.
However, the outside world has its own rule that impose itself upon our desire (represented by the Superego).
It is then the duty of Ego to find a compromise between the two conflicting forces - yet ultimate still aiming to satisfy the Id, albeit with restriction by the Superego.

assuming this is rhetorical i wont answer. now we need to define "exist" ... dragons exist in fantasy novels. Selfless-ness exists in the perfect human being, except now you would say perfection doesnt exist ... this whole tangent is stupid.

back to the original question, ideal relationships are selfish and sincere. : D tadaa
By exist of assume they been exist in reality. Books in which dragons can be found are labeled fiction books . Fiction meaning not real or not in our reality. I personally dont believe in selflessness. [MENTION=119]Faux Angel[/MENTION]

-lexus-

Visions of Hell
Ego always seeks to satisfy the Id but with adjustment to the reality of the outside world (represented by the repressive Superego).
For example;
When hungry, we are instinctively will try to eat.
However, the outside world has its own rule that impose itself upon our desire (represented by the Superego).
It is then the duty of Ego to find a compromise between the two conflicting forces - yet ultimate still aiming to satisfy the Id, albeit with restriction by the Superego.
If we take the video you posted in the other topic. How exactly are you going to compromise between murdering your boss? Lay a finger on him and you get fired. No compromise is possible. In fact, in a whole lot of situations, compromise is not possible. Meaning youre doing something that does not satisfy your Id. Well, I suppose the behavior is still initiated by the Id, but the actual behavior is just an exercise in denying what your Id wants.

Simple example. I can choose between playing games or doing homework. No doubt my Id tells me to play games because its so much more fun. Instead, I pick doing homework, because I have too. Where is the compromise?

Kaze Araki

Libertarian Communist
The Id reaction is consistence with the pleasure principle, therefore Professor Lexus will surely choose to play games rather than doing homework in Psychology. Unfortunately, the imposing force of reality (Superego) forced Professor's Ego to defer from immediately gratifying Professor's desire in favor for a more appropriate timing - thus Ego act as a delaying agent but not a denying one.

-lexus-

Visions of Hell
The Id reaction is consistence with the pleasure principle, therefore Professor Lexus will surely choose to play games rather than doing homework in Psychology. Unfortunately, the imposing force of reality (Superego) forced Professor's Ego to defer from immediately gratifying Professor's desire in favor for a more appropriate timing - thus Ego act as a delaying agent but not a denying one.
These delays can take days, weeks, months, years, lifetimes even. The Id's desires might still be there, but they can be constantly side tracked, set on infinite delay, that its hard to speak anymore of the Id as the only motivator in behavior. Again, take your video as an example. Urges to murder your boss are denied in almost every case. Not delayed until there is a better time to murder him, as such a time does not exist.

Face it, humans are constantly denying their own urges to such a degree one should wonder if these urges really exist and if so, if they really play such an important role in behavior.

Kaze Araki

Libertarian Communist
Now, now, Professor Lexus, don't jump into conclusion too fast.
What you perceived to be as "continuously being side tracked" can also become the unconscious desire itself.
While it is true that the Id follows the principle of pleasure, pleasure itself can also be obtained from pain (in this case, the pain of not playing video game).

-lexus-

Visions of Hell
Now, now, Professor Lexus, don't jump into conclusion too fast.
What you perceived to be as "continuously being side tracked" can also become the unconscious desire itself.
While it is true that the Id follows the principle of pleasure, pleasure itself can also be obtained from pain (in this case, the pain of not playing video game).
I get bored, and boredom makes me depressed.

Core

Fascinating...
By exist of assume they been exist in reality. Books in which dragons can be found are labeled fiction books . Fiction meaning not real or not in our reality. I personally dont believe in selflessness. @Faux Angel
I dont get you... @The Prince

I was the one that you argued with. You say the word selflessness exists.. so I used reductio ad absurdum to say that the word dragons also exist. You claim dragons only exist in fable and myth but the word still exist in the dictionary therefore it does not support your claim because the word selflessness also exists in the dictionary and therefore can be just as fictional. Does it say anywhere that simply "existing" as a word with a definition proves that IT CAN EXIST?

Your mixing me up for someone else. I never claim anything on this thread. In fact from what I can remember that quote is my first post on this thread.

[MENTION=1543]Core[/MENTION]

Core

Fascinating...
Your mixing me up for someone else. I never claim anything on this thread. In fact from what I can remember that quote is my first post on this thread.

@Core

[MENTION=1268]The Prince[/MENTION]

Apologies wasnt you, it was Faux :)

But in my defense.. your avatars look too much alike.

Zero Phoenix

The Second Coming of Hazama
Getting back to the actual topic..., it's easy to say that these ideals of selflessness and true love are, well, nonsense. However the idea of such, the practice of such had to come from somewhere. The idea of two people selflessly loving one another would not have come into being if there wasn't a couple or several thereof engaging in said practice.

Core

Fascinating...
Getting back to the actual topic..., it's easy to say that these ideals of selflessness and true love are, well, nonsense. However the idea of such, the practice of such had to come from somewhere. The idea of two people selflessly loving one another would not have come into being if their wasn't a couple or several thereof engaging in said practice.
On topic:

We went over this several times.. just because the word dragons exist in the dictionary is not a qualification that its real life application is any more real than fiction.