What is "Death"?

Arachna

Spider
Staff member
I fully agree on that.
Imagine being trapped in your head. Not able to move or to speak. it is far more scary then death itself. At least for me it is.

Arachna

Spider
Staff member
And to continue this lovely topic.

Any thoughts on this quote?

Most people believe that death takes place when the heart stops beating; but this does not mean that the person has died, because his subtle mind may still remain in his body. Death occurs when the subtle consciousness finally leaves the body to go to the next life. Our body is like a guesthouse and our mind like the guest; when we die our mind has to leave this body and enter the body of our next rebirth, like a guest leaving one guesthouse and travelling to another.

The mind is neither physical, nor a by-product of purely physical processes, but is a formless continuum that is a separate entity from the body. When the body disintegrates at death the mind does not cease. Although our superficial conscious mind ceases, it does so by dissolving into a deeper level of consciousness, the very subtle mind; and the continuum of the very subtle mind has no beginning and no end.

Biomega

Net Ronin Of All Trades
enter the body of our next rebirth
Rebirth, sounds like an Eastern philosophy.

The mind is neither physical, nor a by-product of purely physical processes, but is a formless continuum that is a separate entity from the body. When the body disintegrates at death the mind does not cease. Although our superficial conscious mind ceases, it does so by dissolving into a deeper level of consciousness, the very subtle mind; and the continuum of the very subtle mind has no beginning and no end.
Woah, just look at that innumerable number of evidences. Mind is not a physical, and is not a by-product physical process -- I wonder what the neurologist and psychologist have to say about this.

The last part kinda reminded me of the idea that we all are one consciousness.

Kaze Araki

Libertarian Communist
I agree with the quote fully. Based upon personal experience, I have a colleague who once suffer a major accident that render him into coma (of which he never fully recovered until today). He describe his near-death experience as floating above his body and everyone else on the operating room. There are many natural explanation for this sensation, however - when he is able to point out who's who and the positions of items in that room while at the same time fully unconscious - now, that shows something else is happening. I'm not saying that it is a supernatural event, but I find it hard to believe that consciousness - as complex as it is - can suddenly disappear completely upon our death.

So what would you propose death is? The ceasing of functions of vital organs?

Although a coma is a near-death state, it isn't actually death. So being in a coma and actually dieing could give us 2 completely different results, we just can't communicate with the deceased to come to a conclusion however.

Biomega

Net Ronin Of All Trades
I agree with the quote fully. Based upon personal experience, I have a colleague who once suffer a major accident that render him into coma (of which he never fully recovered until today). He describe his near-death experience as floating above his body and everyone else on the operating room. There are many natural explanation for this sensation, however - when he is able to point out who's who and the positions of items in that room while at the same time fully unconscious - now, that shows something else is happening. I'm not saying that it is a supernatural event, but I find it hard to believe that consciousness - as complex as it is - can suddenly disappear completely upon our death.
It's called CO2 intoxication.

There is some scientist of some kind tried to see tried to see how long he could live after decapitating. I am not sure of the validity of the story(as a whole, could be a hoax), but he winked(involuntary movement?) after getting decapitated. He would have talked if he hadn't have his lungs separated(all done for science).

Consciousness after-death, not sure.