What is "Death"?

Kaze Araki

Libertarian Communist
What is "Death" , according to your philosophical view?

Do you think the biological definition of "Death" suffice? Why?

Do you think religious answers to the question suffice? Why?

Do you fear "Death"? Why?

to me Death is more then just death of the body its when i lose my faith my convictions my very soul thats true death well at least to me of course i fear death i think everyone does fear death why? because i don want to make everyone around me Sad especially my beloved i cant stand it seeing such suffering

-lexus-

Visions of Hell
Quantum immortality biatches!

Nah, I do believe Im immortal, and that when you die you just move on to a higher plane of existence or something like that. So biological death in this world would mean a simple transition required to move on towards the next step. I dont believe in heaven or hell though, or going to some courtroom to be judged by some God. It suggests that people are special, which I dont believe. All life will move on when they die here in my opinion, regardless of how they lived or their cognitive abilities.

The biological definition of death suffices for now. It deals only with the phenomena as we can see it here, and it should restrict its view to what it can see, and not extend it into what cannot be observed.

And no, I dont fear the inevitable itself. Maybe only the moment.

Biomega

Net Ronin Of All Trades
Post-human life extensions, and brain uploading. I don't know, there are these two methods that can defy natural death, maybe.

People did find out how long we live, through our genes -- there is a visible longevity meter embedded in our genes, this determines how long we live, this gene cuts every time we age, when it reaches the deadline we die from ageing.

Some other scientist are trying to discover an enzyme that can retard the deterioration of this gene -- some of them did, but those enzymes cause even more disorders including anomalous cancer growth.

Source? Many documentaries, and one of the them is Next world - the internet is a hard place to search.

====

But let's get on with death. Death maybe a transition, but where do we end up? In a dark void? In a heavenly plaza? A question that baffled many - scientists, philosophers, theologians.

We die in many ways beside natural. An accident, attempted suicide and death by assailants.

Oh, and Near-Death experiences occurs due to the large influx of CO2 in brain, causing hallucinations(that's a good thing brah, a trip and orgasm before dying a painful death).

noex1337

Emmie was here
I've always imagined death as a total loss of consciousness, never to return. Nothing more, nothing less. I was never one to believe that after death I moved on to a higher plane of existence or that I became a ghost or anything like that. Just a state filled with absolute nothingness. And I'm fine with that. I don't fear death, I don't run away from it, and neither do I seek immortality. My view is quite consistent with my religious views, and more biblical than what majority of Christians out there believe. It just seems quite accurate to me and consistent with the biological definition of death. Now I do believe in heaven and hell, with my views on heaven being quite close to it's popular portrayal, while my view on hell is just a second death (not an eternity of torture). But that is the extent of my views on death and life after death.

In my philosophical view death involves not only loss of consciousness, but could also be intellectual or emotional stagnation, even something like apathy.

The biological definition, as I understand it, might be in conflict with my philosophical view. I'm not sure if when something like a cell dies that it really loses consciousness, or what to think in case a larger organism experiences tissue death without completely dying.

Lastly, I don't fear death, only getting older.

When we loose our soul.

My definition of soul would be:

Something that creates what we call consciousness.And that is something which is separate from our bodies.

Mine is neither.

Because both of them are equal in a sense.

However, the definitions depends on the POV in which we are discussing over.

For example, if we are talking in a Scientific point of view, the biological definition of Death is suffice but not in a Theological point of view(ie, bacteria, does it contain a soul?)

No. Because I will die anyway. It's a something which I cannot hide from.

Why suffer(fear) over something which will happen either way?

Fear or not, the difference is that of the day and night.

Biomega

Net Ronin Of All Trades
When we loose our soul.

My definition of soul would be:

Something that creates what we call consciousness.And that is something which is separate from our bodies.
Is there such a thing as a soul to begin with? Have you ever questioned that?

No. Because I will die anyway. It's a something which I cannot hide from.

Why suffer(fear) over something which will happen either way?

Fear or not, the difference is that of the day and night.
Suppose you wanted to accomplish something, that you couldn't. Or maybe you have done something wrong, and want to fix it. Aren't those things that drives us away from Death, if not fear it?

In my philosophical view death involves not only loss of consciousness, but could also be intellectual or emotional stagnation, even something like apathy.
So, if someone is apathetic or emotionless, they are figuratively dead? This makes sense a little bit, though. I guess this is where "dead from inside" phrase comes in.

Is there such a thing as a soul to begin with? Have you ever questioned that?
This is quiet funny my brother, could you please tell me whether if anything such as this exist to begin with? :

Code:
Suppose you wanted to accomplish something, that you couldn't. Or maybe you have done something wrong, and want to fix it. Aren't those things that drives us away from Death, if not fear it?

So, if someone is apathetic or emotionless, they are figuratively dead? This makes sense a little bit, though. I guess this is where "dead from inside" phrase comes in.
That still wouldn't render the fact that we will die, does it?

Biomega

Net Ronin Of All Trades
This is quiet funny my brother, could you please tell me whether if anything such as this exist to begin with? :

Code:
This doesn't make any sense. Please elaborate.

That still wouldn't render the fact that we will die, does it?
Not at all. We will all die. But that does not mean we will all die out of a sudden. There is a reason we die. I am simply saying, death is avoidable.

-lexus-

Visions of Hell

Code:
No one ever found such a thing and there is no evidence that suggests there is.

I would actually right a thoughtful reply. But as usual, when I post my replys thats truth and since theres nothing anyone can pick out about it to fight about, they just get ignored.

So with that being said, death has nothing to do with the mind after the physical is gone. Because physical isnt the only form consciousness holds. If you look at the way matter and energy and form works, its impossible for us to be competlely erased out of existence. Our thoughts share the same form (proven in labs) as the other energetic bodies within us that are not physical. And we do have energetic bodies because if we didnt we wouldn't be told to stay away from harmful electronics which in term effect us physically (just one example).

As simple as I can put it without getting into it.

Kaze Araki

Libertarian Communist
I would actually right a thoughtful reply. But as usual, when I post my replys thats truth and since theres nothing anyone can pick out about it to fight about, they just get ignored.

So with that being said, death has nothing to do with the mind after the physical is gone. Because physical isnt the only form consciousness holds. If you look at the way matter and energy and form works, its impossible for us to be competlely erased out of existence. Our thoughts share the same form (proven in labs) as the other energetic bodies within us that are not physical. And we do have energetic bodies because if we didnt we wouldn't be told to stay away from harmful electronics which in term effect us physically (just one example).

As simple as I can put it without getting into it.

Actually, your interpretative post about Quantum Physics is quite questionable, but I have enough controversy with the Chess thread already (by holding a controversial position that I actually have no real opinion just so that I can create some heated exchanges, thus making the section livelier). Anyway, I wouldn't be to sure if I were you, Quantum Fluctuation reveal that energy can appear and disappear out of "nothing" as long as it is lower than Plank Time, although the term "nothing" here must be taken with extreme care.

Death is likely the thing most feared by everyone. When they haven't accomplished the things they wanted, what will happen to their loved ones when they are gone, when they already have what they accomplished but doesn't want to lose it.

I'm a Catholic but I believe in science more than religion. So I believe that when people die. There's only nothingness.So unless someone I personally know dies then comes back after a week.

The second statement is for another topic I guess.

Kaze Araki

Libertarian Communist
Death is likely the thing most feared by everyone. When they haven't accomplished the things they wanted, what will happen to their loved ones when they are gone, when they already have what they accomplished but doesn't want to lose it.

I'm a Catholic but I believe in science more than religion. So I believe that when people die. There's only nothingness.So unless someone I personally know dies then comes back after a week.

The second statement is for another topic I guess.
For a self-proclaimed Catholic, you didn't sound like one at all, lol.
How do you make peace between your view of "Death" and the Catholic's dogma?

Notorious

Colonel H Stinkmeaner
I believe death is when you are forgotten from this world. So, for example, even if someone dies physically, I believe he/she can live on by being remembered by others, even if it was just one person.

Canabary

Administrator
Death is one of these mysterious of life we can't quite wrap our head around. What happens after we die, I don't know and frankly I'm not entirely sure I want to know. However, to me it's fairly obvious that something inside a person disappears at death, if this is the soul being liberated or not is up to debate, but there's a blank stare from the dead that is... lifeless. The eyes of a person who is alive have a certain glow to them, which disappears instantly at death. It's as if the "glow" itself is dragged out of them and you're looking at an empty shell. It's a very strange sight...

Death could be many things though, the end of us, the end of the physical us, either way you look at it, it is the end of something. The end of our excitence here in this world. If there is a life after death I highly doubt that we'll even remember this life, or even care about it. If I'm going to think about it from a "soul" perspective I imagine the soul being energy released into the universe, if we have a conciousness at this point then I would imagine our understanding of the universe, life, death, the world, would become unrestricted. Which would in turn lead us to see a bigger picture which does not involve the "physical" world.

If death is not the end of life, and theres a larger reason for "death" aside from the fact that we'd overpopulate the earth in a century or two, then it would stand to reason that this life has some sort of meaning as well. If this life has some sort of meaning then shortening it would be foolish, but I digress.

My religion teaches me that death is not the final "end", my experiences teaches me that death is the final end to something, but that something happens at the moment of death I can not hope to understand. Knowledge teaches me that death is a necessity, while my instinct of self preservation would do anything in my power to avoid it. It's all very compliacted...