What is "Death"?

Kaze Araki

Libertarian Communist
@ZERO PHOENIX
Perhaps noex's ideal form of ultimate happiness is "death" itself.
If so, she is even more bolder than Ayanami Rei.
As Rei longing and longing for the day where she would finally die, when it did come - she's scared.

Zero Phoenix

The Second Coming of Hazama
@ZERO PHOENIX
As Rei longing and longing for the day where she would finally die, when it did come - she's scared.

Noex is a girl? No way. :>.>:

The idea of happiness being found in death is an interesting concept though. It's not new or even twisted, but intriguing. To the Norseman death was nothing to be afraid of it was something to be revered. Only when one dies in battle can they achieve honor and glory. The Persians, the Japanese also believed that honor could be found in death. No one seeks honor for honor's sake, they seek it as a means to an end that end being happiness. And even some Christians seem to be awaiting death because some feel that they will finally be together with God and be with true happiness. Of course I don't share that view (i.e. counting down the clock to Armageddon) but I suppose if we look at our life or at least the current world as a form of hell then death is most certainly happiness by comparison.

noex1337

Emmie was here
@ZERO PHOENIX
Don't misunderstand. There is no happiness found in death. There is nothing at all. I'm just trying to retroactively attach virtue to my own nihilism. But I am indeed content with merely dying. I don't need any ideas of eternal consciousness or souls to calm my fears. That is the point I was attempting to make, not that I am longing to die.

And I would have thought after all this time, you would know that I'm a dude. Never once had I acted otherwise.

Zero Phoenix

Don't misunderstand. There is no happiness found in death. There is nothing at all.
Depends on your outlook which is determined by your beliefs and situation. If one is a slave for example death would be a release from pain. If a person is growing in the endless civil war(s) going on in Burma death might be a release from pain. I'm sure you're old enough to remember Dr. Kevorkian who killed his patients via their requests because they didn't want to live in pain. To many, death is a practical alternative to life. Of course I'm not advocating death over life, simply playing devil's advocate to point out the flaw or two in your argument.

I'm just trying to retroactively attach virtue to my own nihilism.
Hmm, I don't think so. Nihilism has no virtue. I'm not trolling you, simply Nihilists subscribe to said view in part because it is not a matter of virtue. Instead, it is a matter of adopting a belief system practical for surviving under the current age of intellectual decadence. Nihilists are not concerned with matters of virtue. Why else do you think they are Nihilists and not scholars of Socrates or Kant?

But I am indeed content with merely dying. I don't need any ideas of eternal consciousness or souls to calm my fears. That is the point I was attempting to make, not that I am longing to die.
Point taken. I will deduct that same point for you taking so long to make it. I kid I kid. I do understand your ideology though and while I may not "appreciate" the reasons behind that ideology I respect it nonetheless.

And I would have thought after all this time, you would know that I'm a dude. Never once had I acted otherwise.
Kaze's post threw me off. He referred to you as a she. I assumed he knew something I didn't. My apologies. :shrug:

noex1337

Emmie was here
Depends on your outlook which is determined by your beliefs and situation. If one is a slave for example death would be a release from pain. If a person is growing in the endless civil war(s) going on in Burma death might be a release from pain. I'm sure you're old enough to remember Dr. Kevorkian who killed his patients via their requests because they didn't want to live in pain. To many, death is a practical alternative to life. Of course I'm not advocating death over life, simply playing devil's advocate to point out the flaw or two in your argument.
Not living in pain != Happiness. But i'm sure you know that.

Hmm, I don't think so. Nihilism has no virtue. I'm not trolling you, simply Nihilists subscribe to said view in part because it is not a matter of virtue. Instead, it is a matter of adopting a belief system practical for surviving under the current age of intellectual decadence. Nihilists are not concerned with matters of virtue. Why else do you think they are Nihilists and not scholars of Socrates or Kant?
I was halfway kidding when I said that. But nihilism has nothing at all to do with surviving.

Zero Phoenix

How Noex can be a Christian and a Nihilist at the same time is beyond me.
Same here.

Don't attempt to understand. It's meaningless.
It's meaningless to understand because it isn't possible. I'm not sure what scriptures you're reading but you can't subscribe to Nihilism and still claim to be a Christian. Since I know you're a big fan of Wikis:

Most commonly, nihilism is presented in the form of existential nihilism which argues that life is without objective meaning, purpose, or intrinsic value.[1]

If you have the nihilistic belief that life has neither purpose nor value, you cannot be and are not a Christian who, in keeping with Christian doctrines believes that life has purpose and meaning.

noex1337

Emmie was here
Same here.

It's meaningless to understand because it isn't possible. I'm not sure what scriptures you're reading but you can't subscribe to Nihilism and still claim to be a Christian. Since I know you're a big fan of Wikis:

Most commonly, nihilism is presented in the form of existential nihilism which argues that life is without objective meaning, purpose, or intrinsic value.[1]

If you have the nihilistic belief that life has neither purpose nor value, you cannot be and are not a Christian who, in keeping with Christian doctrines believes that life has purpose and meaning.
Like I said before, don't try to understand it. I don't

FrantzS.

I've Gotta Feel Alive
What is Death

death is a loss of self awareness and perception. the human mind ceases to race with thoughts. no more brain function. and the human body slowly decays.

I wonder is death something we should fear? All of mankind has the knowledge of our inevitable deaths so should we embrace it or ignore it? In normal society we do not speak of death as if it were taboo but its part of life. I sometimes consider working out and eating right(no more BK) in a feeble attempt to prolong my life but its gonna catch up to us all.

We may be the most intelligent form of life on the Earth with our "Conscious Minds" but we pay the price for it by having the haunting knowledge of death...seems like a fair trade

but no matter what any one thinks...i fear death because I'll lose all my loved ones...and that's something that pains me more than a knife to the heart

Biomega

Net Ronin Of All Trades
How is that possible? Isn't self awareness directly linked to brain function?
I think that's what I have pointed out earlier. Something we call soul or spirit that contains self-awareness, or maybe even something different. Self-awareness may exist in some other plane of existence.

-lexus-

Visions of Hell
How is that possible? Isn't self awareness directly linked to brain function?
Yes. People who are braindead are alive but they are not aware of anything that is happening around them. Of course there is the dualist explanation which deals with something like a soul, but there exists no evidence that suggests human have a soul.

Biomega

Net Ronin Of All Trades
Yes. People who are braindead are alive but they are not aware of anything that is happening around them. Of course there is the dualist explanation which deals with something like a soul, but there exists no evidence that suggests human have a soul.
You know what really scares me. People thinking you are brain-dead instead of being paralysed and conscious.

Fear of being imprisoned by your own body

Well, according to a study, self-awareness about cognitive processes plays an equal part as reasoning and memory in general intelligence. So if you can argue that people who have no more brain-function can reason and remember things, then I guess you could say that they are self-aware.